exhaust . i want noise

gregdorado

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 350 chev mercruiser gen 2 and a alpha 1 leg. is there a exhaust elbow whith a butterfly that i could direct the exhast straight out the trasom for noise. then back thru the leg for fishing . just for a bit of fun :D ;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: exhaust . i want noise

Welcome!<br /><br />There are several companies who make that type of stuff. Merc calls theirs "Silent Choice". Imco makes a very good unit. <br /><br />However, (theres always one of those ya know) they are illegal in some states. Laws vary drastically from state to state. I was just reading the different laws listed in this month's Family & Performance Boating magazine. I'd sure look into that first.<br /><br />Good luck!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

DW, I didn't know your last name was Powell.<br /><br />A real cheap alternative would be to replace your exhaust bellows with the open exhaust tube. It'll give you a little more beller without any major expense or effort. A few more Hp to boot.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Dang I gotta quit tellin people where I boat. Seriously though, that noise is very very annoying to those who are forced to listen to it.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Some lakes have gotten smart and put noise (decibel) limits in place. Another way for your friendly Dept. of Natural Resources to make a little cash. Fine with me.<br /><br />But my hearing has not been the same since that Grand Funk Railroad concert in 1970 where I got a little close to the stage speakers!<br /><br />My son wants pipes and as soon as he comes up with $1000 he can have them.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walts gettin old. I did that to my boat (without the diverters) and I grew out of it in one season. It definatley restricted my boating as I couldnt return to the marina at night without ticking off my neighboors.(I like the people at my marina to like me, not be annoyed) I sold that boat, the next one will be quiet. (I'm 26 years old) Diverters are alright but you still annoy good people trying to relax. Dont believe anyone who tells you you will see a performance gain. Sometimes you actually lose performance (low end torque). Big block with a blower needs open exhaust for max performance, naturally aspirated small block does not.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

maybe the Aussies aren't quite so sensitive. i am sure we won't be hearing it whatever he does. the pacific ocean is a big pond. untill it's the law or someone comes up with cheaper 3.5" mufflers i'm keeping my through transom straight pipes. ear muffs can be tiresome but they are much cheaper. most of the noise is coming from my un-insulated aluminum hull anyway. don't like being near other boats and the noise mainly annoys the 'tree huggers' that are trying to turn alaska into a theme park twice the size of texas. through transom exhaust that is under water when off step are amazingly quiet at no wake speeds. hardly louder than through prop.

Trent

Captain

I agree with Walt.......Dont want to here it. He is half deaf like me. And I can still here it!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Greg, water cops cruise around Frankston all the time, PWCs get booked for noise pollution as they leave the ramp. Is it worth it?

gregdorado

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the replys guys. what problems could result if i took the echaust bellows off. :D :D

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Go down to the local drag strip and record some uncorked headers, play the tape on your boat...LOUD.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello! You would have to clean the soot off of your transom alot more often. Other than that, you won't damage anything.

tim10034

Seaman

i have a 1996 four winns with a 7.4 volvo on it that i recently got...it has the exhuast coming out of the transom and i wished it would go through the prop ....the loud noise while im under way is too much for me...i thought it would be alot more quiet than wat it is....anyone know of a cheap fix for me to get it quiet....

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gregdorado,<br /> There are exhaust diverters available, check the Corsa Web site www.corsa.com, these are the least hassle and easiest to install,they use a electric soleniod to move the butterfly, there are other systems available but some of them use air controlled actuators which requires an airpump, these system are not cheap I personally would avoid them. Tim10034 a cheaper route is to go with a muffler type exhaust tip, I installed Gil Power tips on my boat, they are quiter than a open tip at idle and seem to have a better tuned exhaust note at speed. check them out at www.corsa.com also.

gregdorado

Seaman Apprentice

gday northen eclipse. i tried the link. but it is just bike leathers can you check the adress thanks :D :D

f_inscreenname

Commander

I learned a long time ago that loud and fast boats are not the favorites of the old guard here. There is still some of us (that have been around for awhile) that would not have it any other way. My current boat a 1972 J Allmand/Super Nova 19’ was built with thru hull exhaust but they considered the noise level at low speed by putting the tips (outlets) just below the water line.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

f-inscreename, could you post a picture of your boat?, sounds interesting. I love older fiberglass speedboats.