Evinrude 200 vc 2001 model rev counter

malta

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all.

I just put my recently purchased boat into the sea, and found that the rev counter is not working. I had the engine fully serviced, since there was some corrosion between the power pack and the plugs, resulting in weak or misfiring on two of the plugs. This has since been corrected and the engine is running perfectly. I am pretty sure the rev counter was working before i had the engine fully serviced. If it helps, the alternator is charging ok, since the volmeter registers a good flow into the batteries. The electrician said that there seems to be nothing wrong between the outboard and the rev counter dial, and he thinks its something from the engine. I can live without a rev counter, but it is a nice to have. Also, i have two rev counters (the boat used to have two outboards), so its highly unlikely that the problem is with the actual dial.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Cliff in the Med.

malta

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude 200 vc 2001 model rev counter

hi again. no comments on this, so maybe this may help.. i since spoke to my electrician, who said that since the engine alternator is charging the batteries when its running, then the problem could be something to do with the 'harness'. can anyone point me in the right direction in respect of solving this?

Cliff

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Cliff, The tachometer (rev counter) is driven off the grey wire on the voltage regulator. I recommend you ohm it out to the meter itself. Also look for melted wires on the motor and under the dahsboard. A 2001 motor should have the 8 pin DIP system check wiring harness plus the 3 ringterminals. The tachometer needs to have th purple, black and grey wires connected in order to function. Make sure you have +12VDC on the purple and ground on the black. Motor is negative earth, right?

malta

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I'll check this out - yes, its a normal negative earth arrangement. Cliff