evinrude 115 1 cylinder dead

jpryorx2

Cadet
need some advise my son bought a checkmate predictor 2 years ago with a evinrude 115 on it long story short we never got it to run right. now he picked up another 115 model e115tlc1m that was said to run great but when he got it to the lake its top rpm is 2100 and never gets on plane even with the trim all the way down. we have cleaned the carbs and fuel filter which made no difference so today with it running on the muffs we pulled the plug wires 1 at a time. if your standing behind the boat the 2 on the right side made a big difference and the left bottom made a small difference but the left top makes zero change. but all 4 were sparking. just for trial and error we swapped the coil for that cylinder with a brand new one off the old engine still nothing so we swapped the cdi box and still nothing. all cylinders are between 90 and 95 compression which i know is a little low. the plugs on the left side still looked like brand new lie they have never fired. would bad reed valve cause 1 cylinder to get no fuel?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the classic broken piston rings.-----Remove that cylinder head for inspection.----I believe you will not like what you see in there.----Motor likely needs 4 O/S new pistons / rings.----Will happen to everyone of these motors !

Reactions: Doh

jpryorx2

Cadet
Sounds like the classic broken piston rings.-----Remove that cylinder head for inspection.----I believe you will not like what you see in there.----Motor likely needs 4 O/S new pistons / rings.----Will happen to everyone of these motors !
but with compression being even would a broken ring only cause 1 cylinder to not get fuel?

jpryorx2

Cadet
just pulled the carbs and cleaned them again looking thru the intake the reeds look good. also did the test of holding paper over the intake and it did suck the paper in

jpryorx2

Cadet
thats what i thought to but other posts on here say 90 s considered good for this engine.
i can't find a blue stripe on any of the wires to the coils

saltchuckmatt

Commander
What does 90 s mean?

Wire colors may have bleached away. Blue stripe (sky) on top green stripe (grass) on bottom.

Your combustion chamber May check out compression wise but what about your internal compression? If your motor doesn't have internal compression it won't push fuel into the combustion chamber. You need to figure out if this is your problem or if you're lucky it's something stupid.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue------Compression should be around 120 PSI on these simple motors.

jpryorx2

Cadet
What does 90 s mean?

Wire colors may have bleached away. Blue stripe (sky) on top green stripe (grass) on bottom.

Your combustion chamber May check out compression wise but what about your internal compression? If your motor doesn't have internal compression it won't push fuel into the combustion chamber. You need to figure out if this is your problem or if you're lucky it's something stupid.
sorry my keyboard is junk ii missed the ' it should have said 90's all cylinders range between 90 and 95 psi. after cleaning the carbs 2 more times it is running on the top cylinder again. as far as the harness to the coils each side has 2 yellow wires both have numbers but i dont see any stripes or would the stripes only be on the cdi side of the harness? if the rain stops i am going to try and take it to the lake today to see for myself what its doing.
also someone has told me that the stator has a low side and a high side. and that it would run on the up to 2000 rpm then switch to the high side. is this true? and if that is the case if the high side is bad would the engine die or just stay running at the 2000 rpm?

jpryorx2

Cadet
Some will argue------Compression should be around 120 PSI on these simple motors.
it seemed low to me also the simple fact is he should have never bought this motor. his old one has 110 psi in all cylinders but instead of asking for help to get that one running right he bought this one that he was told ran great so he could just drop it on and go. when that didnt happen he dropped it off at my house for me to deal with

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Very nice of him.

Borrow someone else's tester or buy a new one. Lots of testers seem to be off.

Remove the head and inspect like you were told. Post pictures.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is elegantly easy to trouble shoot these motors.----At 90 PSI you have a bad gauge or a motor that needs major work !!!-----Remove a bypass cover to look at pistons / rings on the 90 PSI cylinder.----Or then again your whole compression test procedure is flawed,----Possibly a bad battery / bad starter / bad battery cables.-----And no the throttle plates do not need to be open for a good test result.

jpryorx2

Cadet
It is elegantly easy to trouble shoot these motors.----At 90 PSI you have a bad gauge or a motor that needs major work !!!-----Remove a bypass cover to look at pistons / rings on the 90 PSI cylinder.----Or then again your whole compression test procedure is flawed,----Possibly a bad battery / bad starter / bad battery cables.-----And no the throttle plates do not need to be open for a good test result.
what is a bypass cover or where is. maybe my gauge is off but its showing 90 to 95 on every cylinder battery is brand new motor turns over fast so don't think its a starter issue. this motor doesn't have a choke and i don't think the primer valve is working because i don't hear the click when i push the key in but it fires up almost instantly without it. i'm not gonna pull the head untill my kid orders new gaskets. but would low compression make it only be able to rev to half throttle? and its consistent thats why i was thinking it has a electrical issue. i can build a 46hp vw engine to make 284hp but when it comes to 2 stroke outbooards im a idiot

saltchuckmatt

Commander
what is a bypass cover or where is. maybe my gauge is off but its showing 90 to 95 on every cylinder battery is brand new motor turns over fast so don't think its a starter issue. this motor doesn't have a choke and i don't think the primer valve is working because i don't hear the click when i push the key in but it fires up almost instantly without it. i'm not gonna pull the head untill my kid orders new gaskets. but would low compression make it only be able to rev to half throttle? and its consistent thats why i was thinking it has a electrical issue. i can build a 46hp vw engine to make 284hp but when it comes to 2 stroke outbooards im a idiot
I agree and you must be a swedish guy like me because, and no offense, you don't listen.

jpryorx2

Cadet
update got it on the water today it sounds good planes out and doing about 40mph but only hitting 4000 rpm current prop is a 13x19