Engine won't shut down

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice
I posted a question some time ago about a power pack I thought might be bad. I didn't get any responses. Let me approach my problem a little differently. The engine (Johnson 200 '90) won't turn off--I have to choke it to stop it. I have tried shorting almost all of the control wires going into the power pak to ground with the ignition switch off (also brand new) all to no avail. It's almost as though I discovered some new power source like cold fusion! I have ordered a 6 pole relay to short the primary inputs to each coil out to ground out of sheer desperation. I'm worried that when it switches there will be a surge which may blow the power pack. Does anyone have any idea how to force the engine to stop using a different approach? All grounds are good. I need an around about way to add-on a way to shut down.<br />Thanks in advance.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine won't shut down

well nelson, you turn the key off and it still runs, pull the lanyard off safety switch and it still runs right? if you can't cut it off then you have to choke it. the wiring could be damaged or keyswitch could possibly be malfunctioning. you need to get ahold of a service manual if you don't have one.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, that about says it all. I have 2 manuals and have traced most of the wiring. Any ideas on an alternative way to shut down ie a ground wire which could short something to ground which would stop the engine?<br />Thanks

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

I'm having ignition problems too nelson, the exact opposite though. I have problems getting spark. credit to OBJ for likley isolating the problem with mine. I unscrewed the black/yellow wire from powerpack and the motor kicked to life. with it removed the kill switch nor the key off would shut it off, so keep that in mind. I had to choke it to shut down. Keep bumping this if you have to, I can't think of anything else other than choking it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

lift the pack. find the black yellow leads. attach a jumper directly to them. secure the ground lead for the pack ,make sure all wires are clear of the flywheel. start the engine. when you ground the blk/yellow leads to the block it should die. if it does not the pack is defective or the connections in the amphenol plugs are bad. if it dies then you have to chase the open circuit from the engine harness side of the pack back to the key switch and from the key switch to ground. if you have quick access to your switch then with the engine running attach a jumper from the blk/yellow M term to a known good engine ground. if it does not die its between the switch and the pack, if it now dies its the ground to the switch second M terminal. the systems kills by taking the pack blk/yellow wires to ground.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have already tried grounding the black yellow lead--it still runs. I think the power pack must be defective, but I can't afford to replace it. I guess I'll try grounding the primary lead of each ignition coil with a 6 pole dpdt relay. I know that will shut it down, but I hope it doesn't make the power pack inoperable in the process due to a surge.