Engine shutting off and bulb without pressure.

SigShooter

Recruit
Hey guys,
I have a 2009 Mercury 50ELPTO 50HP outboard motor that's giving me trouble. Normal start up routine, squeezing the fuel bulb till its firmly pressurized etc. Motor doesn't start up right away but eventually turns over. It will run for under a minute and then shut off. The bulb doesn't have noticeable pressure. This happens consistently in the same fashion each time. Still have yet to get the motor to run longer than a minute. Fuel pump appears in good condition. I took the carbs off to clean (ended up being spotless), and replaced a near new fuel filter. Reason for this is that the year prior, the valve for the auto oil mixer when out and all my oil drained into the fuel tank. Doing my best to get it done for this season.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Apologies for asking the obvious, but is the fuel pipe and primer from tank to engine going in the right direction ? They only go one way.
Might be way off the mark...but would make sense.

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
These too are possible obvious items, but, sometimes the obvious get overlooked...could be fuel line problem. Seen many people who have had the liner in new fuel lines sepearate and close off. Vent closed or clogged on the fuel tank..pick up tube has screen at base in gas tank that is clogged. Marina told me they have seen many old metal portable tanks have a problem with the rubber connection at the top where it connects to the fuel line, apparently swells and cuts off fuel, new fuel tank was the solution.

SigShooter

Recruit
Apologies for asking the obvious, but is the fuel pipe and primer from tank to engine going in the right direction ? They only go one way.
Might be way off the mark...but would make sense.
The fuel lines are the same as when I first got it. Never knew that about fuel lines so thank ya for the info

SigShooter

Recruit
These too are possible obvious items, but, sometimes the obvious get overlooked...could be fuel line problem. Seen many people who have had the liner in new fuel lines sepearate and close off. Vent closed or clogged on the fuel tank..pick up tube has screen at base in gas tank that is clogged. Marina told me they have seen many old metal portable tanks have a problem with the rubber connection at the top where it connects to the fuel line, apparently swells and cuts off fuel, new fuel tank was the solution
I never thought of that. Ill check that out next. Fingers crossed.

Thank you guys

SigShooter

Recruit
Finally got back to the boat today.

Removed the pickup tube in the fuel tank. The screen as the base was clean. When I removed the fuel hose at the top of the pickup tube, there was a lot of build up of white/brown crusty crap.

Next step to replace the fuel line? Thoughts?

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would replace everything, else, you could try cleaning the crap out and try using it I suppose, problem being, stuff you didn't get may end up in the engine where you don't want it.

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fuel lines and bulbs are easy and cheap to replace and WILL go bad over time. Even a small leak, crack, or weathered connection will make impossible the low vacuum pressure you need. Especially the bulb. There are one-way valves in there that are delicate. If it's been a few years, just replace it. Also, some fuel lines have an innner liner that can degrade and come apart in pieces big enough to cause blockages. And as mentioned above, YES, the bulb must be installed in the correct direction. There should be an arrow stamped on in. Also, when you use the primer bulb for the first time of the day, don't just grab it and start squeezing: orient the bulb vertically (arrow up) and squeeze it. There are little ball bearings that need to seal the check valves. (Once it's primed, you can place the bulb however it wants to lie) Also, I've bought new fuel lines with bulbs pre-installed in the wrong direction (*cough*ATTWOOD*cough*) so that's something to double check.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The squeezie: it has one job, it pulls fuel from the tank and feeds it to the pump and carbs.
Once that's done it's job is done and once the motor starts the pressure goes away, Normal!!
The valve in the squeezie is a one way valve, once pumped up it should let the pump draw through the valve.

merc850

Commander
Disconnect the fuel connector from the motor and pump the ball, if it gets hard and stays hard it's OK - if it pushes back into the tank the check valve is no good.