Engine removal for water pump change?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happy Summer, Had a weak pee stream out in the ocean the other day on my 1986 Evinrude 40 hp.

Can I perform a water pump change on the engine with it still on the boat/traler?

I read somewhere you coudn't but I dont see why not.

Also I have a a few small pieces of my inlet screen which make me nervous and want to change that out too, any tips on changing that out it looks pretty straight forward?

Thanks, Kettler

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Engine removal for water pump change?

Are you sure it's not just blockage? I had a weak stream too and use an air hose to blow into that hose. It's been perfect since. My engine was also used in salt water. I believe that the water deposits build up after time and can create some blockages.

btw, you water pump is in your lower unit. No, you don't have to remove the engine off the boat, but you have to remove the lower unit.

vashonMike

Cadet

Hey TallCanadian. I'm having the same probelm. Where do you shoot the air in. Directly into the outlet stream whole?

tallcanadian

Captain

Yes you can. I took the connection of at the motor and shot the air in there. I couldn't believe the difference. It's like a new motor.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

[quote=Kettler;2218758]Happy Summer, Had a weak pee stream out in the ocean the other day on my 1986 Evinrude 40 hp.

Can I perform a water pump change on the engine with it still on the boat/traler?"

Yes you can.

"I read somewhere you coudn't but I dont see why not.

Also I have a a few small pieces of my inlet screen which make me nervous and want to change that out too, any tips on changing that out it looks pretty straight forward?"

The inlet screen is important in keeping small particles like gravel and weeds out of your water pump and thermostat housing - they are easy to replace when servicing the water pump.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yes, you can change it on the boat. When the replacement is completed, test the motor in a barrel, not on the muffs. By doing this, you will get a better picture of how well the new impeller is doing. Testing on the muffs will not necessarily tell you much, because the water pressure from the hose will feed the cooling system pretty much on its own.

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all. I always test using a square rubbermade storage bin on blocks. It fits snug holds lots of water and theres enough room fo the prop to spin to put the engine in gear for a brief moment, supplies the neccesary back pressure and keeps the noise down.

Get this, the boatyard I called for an estimate for pump replacement said it was too old for them to work on.

Thats Edwards Boat yard in East Falmouth Mass.:confused:

Thanks again guess I'll keep the $400 dollars it would have cost in labor.

If I use a sick day to do it I'll actually make money.

Ha Ha funny way to stay in business