Engine Oil Prefferences

BornBlue82

Seaman
I'm curious to know what oil others are using in their Mercruiser I/O. The p.o. was using quicksilver 25w40 full synthetic. Just curious if I should stay with this or is there a better solution? Thanks for the advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine Oil Prefferences

Are you asking about the drive or the engine? You say engine oil in the title, then Alpha I Gen II (which is a drive, not an engine) in the thread.

BornBlue82

Seaman

Are you asking about the drive or the engine? You say engine oil in the title, then Alpha I Gen II (which is a drive, not an engine) in the thread.

Sorry, I mean the engine. Still new to the boating world.

dough41

Cadet

I have a 1998 Monterey 180m 3.0 l and have used amsoil 10-40w four stroke synthetic. Also use the amsoil lower unit synthetic. Got the boat in 2005 and have used the amsoil synthetic since 2006. Use synthetics in all my gas driven engines....

Last edited:

BornBlue82

Seaman

I have a 1998 Monterey 180m 3.0 l and have used amsoil 10-40w four stroke synthetic. Also use the amsoil lower unit synthetic. Got the boat in 2005 and have used the amsoil synthetic since 2006. Use synthetics in all my gas driven engines....

Ok thanks for the info. What is the downside to Quicksilver? Is it the price?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can use regular oil or semi or full synthetic or mix them. The most important number is the higher number (40) which should be what the manufacturer recommends. I like running full synthetic myself but I work the engine hard and put a lot of hours on it in a season. If you are only putting 50 or less on then it makes more sense to run a cheaper oil. There is quite a bit to oil and you don't want a book here but the Quicksilver is good oil. So are all the major brands. Change the filter and oil at the end of every season or at 100 hours on your Mercruiser. Whichever comes first. It is okay to change it more often.

agallant80

Commander

Mobil1 15-40 is what I use. I started a thread a few months ago asking if anyone who works on the motors for a living has seen a failure due to the wrong oil and I could not get a clear yes on the issue so I am not worried about it I just would not use some of the water oil that cars are using these days like 0-20

BornBlue82

Seaman

You can use regular oil or semi or full synthetic or mix them. The most important number is the higher number (40) which should be what the manufacturer recommends. I like running full synthetic myself but I work the engine hard and put a lot of hours on it in a season. If you are only putting 50 or less on then it makes more sense to run a cheaper oil. There is quite a bit to oil and you don't want a book here but the Quicksilver is good oil. So are all the major brands. Change the filter and oil at the end of every season or at 100 hours on your Mercruiser. Whichever comes first. It is okay to change it more often.

Mobil1 15-40 is what I use. I started a thread a few months ago asking if anyone who works on the motors for a living has seen a failure due to the wrong oil and I could not get a clear yes on the issue so I am not worried about it I just would not use some of the water oil that cars are using these days like 0-20

Thanks for the advice. I use mobil1 full synthetic in all my vehicles. I just didn't really know what was so spectacular about quicksilver. Mobil1 it is!

BornBlue82

Seaman

Just a maketing gimmick...Your engine will NOT fail soley due to using another similar brand/weight.

Thanks, I just didn't really know what was so special about quicksilver. I figured it was a gimmick. It's the only oil in stores near me that says Marin oil, and it's what the po was using.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

When I have questions about lubrication, I look at the leading website--BobIsTheOilGuy.com. There is a section on marine lubrication.

I found that many fishing fleets use diesel oil or "universal" oils because they have the proper additives for marine use--and they're very inexpensive. The only limitation for diesel oil is that they cannot be used in any engine with catalytic converters.

Mobil 1 is not rated for marine use, but it's better oil than anything that is marine rated. Exxon/Mobil has just never spent the huge amount of money to get the ratings.

I'm running a new F150 Yamaha, and any quality 10W30 car oil will work in it. I'm eventually going to Mobil 1 after it's fully broken in.

BornBlue82

Seaman

When I have questions about lubrication, I look at the leading website--BobIsTheOilGuy.com. There is a section on marine lubrication.

I found that many fishing fleets use diesel oil or "universal" oils because they have the proper additives for marine use--and they're very inexpensive. The only limitation for diesel oil is that they cannot be used in any engine with catalytic converters.

Mobil 1 is not rated for marine use, but it's better oil than anything that is marine rated. Exxon/Mobil has just never spent the huge amount of money to get the ratings.

I'm running a new F150 Yamaha, and any quality 10W30 car oil will work in it. I'm eventually going to Mobil 1 after it's fully broken in.

Well put, thanks for the advice. Mobil1 is where I'm going.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, I just didn't really know what was so special about quicksilver. I figured it was a gimmick. It's the only oil in stores near me that says Marin oil, and it's what the po was using.

The only "gimmick" with Quicksilver or ANY (claimed) 'Marine' oil is that they are usually NMMA FC-W rated.

If you want to know more about the industry standard rating and how it was developed, you'll have to go to the following page and do a little reading.

Certification - FC-W

If you want to know everyone's opinion, ask at any forum including "Bob is the oil.......", here, and every other boat, car, lawnmower, leaf-blower, outboard, chainsaw, heavy truck, light truck, racing, or other engine forum of your choice......................:facepalm::facepalm:

There's no shortage of opinions........... but you can make an "educated guess"
toothlessgiggler.gif

:deadhorse: In reality...... That horse died long ago.....

Cheers,

Rick