Engine oil pan leak

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the drive
Remove fuel line, all electrical cables and throttle cables, then disconnect front and rear motor mounts. Its ready to lift out

kenny nunez

Captain
While you are at it plan on replacing the timing cover as it never was painted from the factory because the circulating pump was mounted.
I must beg to differ with All dodge in reference to removing the out drive.
It is easier to separate the engine at the flywheel housing. Hopefully the output shaft splines are not rusted to the flex plate.
If that is the case then you will have to do as Alldodge suggested and remove the 6 bolts that retain the conical ring so that the whole housing will come out with the engine. Good luck

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
except getting the bolts off the dust shield is impossible from above. and without removing the dust shield, no way to pull the PDS from the coupler

kenny nunez

Captain
It also goes by the design of the boat. I think some boat builders lay the engine on the floor and see how tight they can get the engine surrounded.
Most time I was able to pull the engine from the bellhousing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I actually think the boat builders shrink wrap the engine and use it as the plug to make molds..... some boats you need to pull the motor to change starter

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On a 280, you don't have to remove the whole drive, just the upper drive housing.

If the boat is a saltwater boat, removing the engine from the flywheel housing may be the best option.

Last edited: