engine loses power at WOT

starsire79

Cadet
I have an 85h.p. 1984 force motor that at WOT loses power. it runs great unless its full throttle. It also seems that I have lost some speed at lower throttle settings as well but dont have a tach installed yet so cant see what rpms i am running. I have read a lot of the back posts on this issue...seems to be somewhat common but yet unsolved problem. I have a new fuel diaphragm coming and a new rectifier, but one thing i noticed is that i have the quick connect fittings 1/4" ( the newer style ones that look the same as the connectors on an air compressor) they dont seem to have a air tight fit from male to female. when i prime the bulb gas will "spit" from between the two connectors. not a lot. but the bulb never really gets very firm. this was the case with the older style connectors that i replaced. any solutions so that i can get this fit right? can i use connector that are ment for other types of engines since its just from the gas tank to the fuel line. also if it matters these are removable tanks not ones built into the boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine loses power at WOT

The O ring inside the female fitting is bad. It is an odd size but I have found that an air-conditioning seal kit for GM products at the local auto store has the correct size. Beats the 20-25 bucks you will spend for a male and female pair of quick-connects.

Look for other partial blockages too; Your problem sounds like lack of fuel at full throttle.

While waiting for new connectors, you can buy a brass barbed fitting at the local plumbing department in your fuel line size with a 1/4 NPT thread for the tank. PIA to change it but it will get full fuel flow with no leaks.