Dumb Question about Tires

BigBK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a duel axle trailer with a large boat on it total weight about 7800 pounds. the tires are rated for 2550pds per tire. what i have notice was after a trip to the lake ( about 22 miles) was the tires were what i thought was a little to hot. yesterday when i went i checked again and they were hot again like twice as hot as the truck tires. Would this be normal or is there something i should be looking at?

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dumb Question about Tires

If trailer tires are smaller than truck tires they will turn faster than truck tires, causing more friction thus more heat. Weight ratio sounds ok, but I would keep spare and jack handy just in case!! You are talking about the rubber tires and not the metal wheel thats hot, right ?? If wheels hot check on brakes or bearings. Hope that helps.
Eterry

SS Flasher

Seaman Apprentice

Manufacturers put a load rating on their tires. Make sure that the
maximum load rating stamped on the tire is sufficient for the load that it
will carry. Do not allow the weight of your vehicle and load to exceed the
rating for any individual tire or any group of tires on a single axle.
Check and adjust tire pressure when tires are cool. Use a tire pressure
gauge. If a tire has the correct pressure when it is cool, it will generate a
normal amount of heat during use. As this heat builds up it will cause the
pressure within the tire to increase a desired amount, which will reduce
the amount of wall flexing. When wall flexing is kept under control, heat
build up will also be kept under control.

BigBK

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you or the info, #1 yes the tires are smaller so that makes sence.
#2 the wheels themselves are also heating up. nat the ones with the brakes a little more.

I pulled all drums and repacked the bearings a month ago bearings looked good. But i always question myself when reinstalling the drums. I allways wonder if i have tightened the nut to tight. i know if they r to tight it will cause wheels to heat up and bearing to fail. and im headed on a 4 hr trip with boat so wanted a little imput. thank you again. Bob

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was always told to tighten hub til it would barely turn without tire mounted, then would turn with slight resistence with tire mounted. Not sure if thats correct, but what my Dad always told me. Anyone have other opinion??
Eterry

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was always told to tighten hub til it would barely turn without tire mounted, then would turn with slight resistence with tire mounted. Not sure if thats correct, but what my Dad always told me. Anyone have other opinion??
Eterry

Way to tight. OK to do that to seat the bearing but then back off to the next available castle nut opening at least. Maybe two.

Deprime

Cadet

How's your tire pressure? Too low tire pressure results in increased tire sidewall flex which will cause a lot more heat to build up in the tires.