Dealership not helpful, what prop?

z rated

Cadet
Im pretty confused and need some expert advice on my prop. Ive got a 2007 21foot maxum cuddy with a 5litre mpi 260 hp engine. According to the dealer the pitch for my boat is a 17". Currently ive got a rev4 17" pitch 4 blade ss prop and im hitting the rev limiter at around 40knots with the trim up a bit. With this prop i get on plane great but i feel the speed can be more and definitely shouldnt be hitting 5300 rpm. after arguing that the prop they gave me cant be ideal they finally gave me some crappy blue demo prop i think its aluminum it only weighs maybe 5 lbs but its a 20"pitch 4 blade. Im guessing i need a 19 or 20" pitch to bring the rpm down about 5 or 6 hundred. I took the boat out twice now and im only able to reach 33 knots at around 5000-5100 rpm range. I dont think there was any point in even trying this prop since its at least 20lbs lighter than the ss prop i had on and i dont think ill be using anything other than a ss prop. Should i just stick with the 4 blade ss prop i have and use it when tubing etc, and buy a 3 blade for speed? If so what 3 blade prop should i get? Any help would be appreciated im not getting much from the dealership. Ideally i would like a prop weather 4 or 3 blade that gets on plane quick and gets be over 40 knots. we dont live in an ideal world but can i get close?

rndn

Commander
Re: Dealership not helpful, what prop?

Don't worry about the weight of the prop. All it means is it's either SS or aluminum. Each 1" of pitch change up or down changes the rpm's by about 200. There is a decent prop calculator at the link below but if you decide to buy, please buy from iboats.com as they give us this great free boating forum.
http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/

rndn

Commander

I checked the prop calc and it suggested a 23" for speed and a 21" for water sports and heavy loads. I hope this was helpful.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

When my boat was a stock 260HP and 21 foot like yours I ran the Mercury LaserII 21P and pulled 4500 RPM WOT (4200-4600 Limit) and 53.1 MPH. Now with a small cam and intake I'm pushing the same prop to 4900-5000 RPM and 57.3 MPH.

The laser has been an awesome prop. Gets up on plane fast (unless loaded with 6 people in the back) and the handeling has been good as well.