Customer advice

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Sold a 2000 70 HP Johnson to a guy and gave him a excellent price but told him I have not gone through it. It was a yacht tender motor so low idling hours...just Sun scorched.

We test ran it at my place and I walked him through what he needed to do. He sent me pictures of him and his wife and kid crabbing, fishing and enjoying the water so all was well.

Burned it up this weekend. Didn't replace the impeller, didn't test the overheat alarm.

It had crazy good compression when I sold it to him. Right now 90 90 on the top two and 150 on the bottom. I'm going to loan him another outboard to keep his happy season going and he wants to rebuild. Should he go thirty over and just replace what's bad or everything is toast or anyone have leads on rebuilds that are reasonable priced.

I think this kid will have no problem doing the work himself. He learned a lesson.

Attachments

• IMG_6499.jpg
    IMG_6499.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6500.jpg
    IMG_6500.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 32

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Why 0.030" over? There are 0.010", and 0.020" Pistons as well.

Being that it got hot, checking the Head for Warpage is another thing needed

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Agreed the less you go over the better off it will be in the long run.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The machine shop will tell you how far to overbore. then buy a WSM kit and go boating

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Just ment an overbore but can he leave the crank, bearings and seals alone? I know the head needs resurfacing.

Sounds to me a whole kit is needed.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hard to say what else got torched. If it were me and i was boring and replacing pistons i would go all the way and be done with it.

aspeck

Staff member
If I am doing 2 cylinders I am doing the whole rebuild. Patch jobs usually come back to bite you.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Agreed, complete job or nothing. He didn't check the overheat alarm system only the oil alarm. Admitted going though a kelp bed.

No limp mode so obviously an issue with the sensor.

Agreed, find the overheat prob and repair

Thanks guys.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
Agreed, complete job or nothing. He didn't check the overheat alarm system only the oil alarm. Admitted going though a kelp bed.

No limp mode so obviously an issue with the sensor.

Agreed, find the overheat prob and repair

Thanks guys.
well he could've burned it up underneath the SLOW mode rpm of around 2500! t stat seat and grommet and t stat need to be cleaned and replaced. all both upper/lower crank seals and housing o rings come in the powerhead gasket kit. all should absolutely be replaced! $85 for the kit. another $100 for bearings on the 2 burned holes. $250 for pistons. $500 in machine work including block/head/deck surfaced at Jay's. most likely around $1000 all in. crank bearings should be inspected but usually pass unless pitted from water damage.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It will have to go .040 or resleeve as top cylinder already .030 oversize

saltchuckmatt

Commander
well he could've burned it up underneath the SLOW mode rpm of around 2500! t stat seat and grommet and t stat need to be cleaned and replaced. all both upper/lower crank seals and housing o rings come in the powerhead gasket kit. all should absolutely be replaced! $85 for the kit. another $100 for bearings on the 2 burned holes. $250 for pistons. $500 in machine work including block/head/deck surfaced at Jay's. most likely around $1000 all in. crank bearings should be inspected but usually pass unless pitted from water damage.
He was buzzing around at 5500 RPMs and I was going to meet him and give him a lower pitch prop....never went to slow mode. I told him to ground the wire going to the overheat switch....he said he did that and nothing happened (no alarm)

Stupid is as stupid does.

Just loaned him a motor.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I do see some numbers at the top of the top piston I can’t make the out but it does look like there is a 30 involved.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
He was buzzing around at 5500 RPMs and I was going to meet him and give him a lower pitch prop....never went to slow mode. I told him to ground the wire going to the overheat switch....he said he did that and nothing happened (no alarm)

Stupid is as stupid does.

Just loaned him a motor.
oh right on. yep its unusual for a pack to have a bad SLOW circuit but have seen it a time or 2. could also be the diode in the harness, no? easy to check that one