Crank removal & installation (Merc 470)

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so I am not the worlds greatest mechanic (if you couldnt by my posts :D ) so my question to you all is how hard is it to remove and replace the crank from one block to another? Is this something you think I should have a "pro" do? Or can you average shadetree mechanic handle this one? <br /><br />Thanks<br />Your Friendly ShadeTree Mechanic :p

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Crank removal & installation (Merc 470)

If you are comfortable with pulling the motor, taking it completely apart and putting back together I’d say "go get yourself a manual to make sure before you start". I would do it in a heart beat but I have done a few. I do remember the first one though. Didn't know that they were over sized pistons (that's what that .30 stamped on the piston was for :rolleyes: ) boy did that motor smoke in more ways then one. My only time out with that motor I had a coast guard boat come over to me thinking I was on fire. Lesson learned.

CARMINE326

Cadet

Pulling a crank and putting in a new one is easy. Make sure the you get some small hose to put on the rod studs so that you do not scar the crank. Also you want to pull the sparkplugs so there is no compression and you will be able to turn the engine with a wrench. Make sure that you align the timing marks (dot to dot) on the timing chain sprockets so that everything will be in time when it goes back together. You of course will want to change the rear main seal and the timing chain cover seal when you do this. Pay close attention to the torque specs in your manual. Use new bearings and lots of Pre Lube and you will be back on the water in no time.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the engine is apart, I am rebuilding (cracked block)... I have just never pulled a crank, so I wasent sure how hard it is... <br /><br />I do have a Service manual for my engine, so I have all the torque specs and stuff... I will pull it out, if I have any doubts I will bring it to my mechanic...<br /><br />aa always<br />THANKS :D :D :)