cooling johnson / evinrude 9.9 /15 fourstroke 1998

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I've repaired a lot of outboard and fixed a couple of 9.9 / 15 hp fourstroke evinrudes and johnsons. And almost all of them had bad cooling after replacing the impeller.
I have one now which has the same symptoms.
Is there like an o-ring which is known to cause problems? I want to get the powerhead of and see if I have some blockage.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I've repaired a lot of outboard and fixed a couple of 9.9 / 15 hp fourstroke evinrudes and johnsons. And almost all of them had bad cooling after replacing the impeller.
Is there like an o-ring which is known to cause problems? I want to get the powerhead of and see if I have some blockage.
Was the old impeller still intact? Like no missing chunks that could be stuck somewhere blocking water flow.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those use the same lower unit as their 2 strokes.-----Treid and proven water pumps.----Have to ask.-----Water is 15 cm above the impeller when testing?

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Old impeller was intact. But I have no idea wat happened with the motor before all this. Replaced the impeller ( not original) 2 years ago but I remember that it wasn't cooling very strong. It also looks like it does cool good sometimes and than suddenly does not cool. Water is deep enough. Is up to the cowling.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
What you just described sounds like a piece of dirt or rubber clogging a cooling passage in the block. possibly next to the thermostat, or a faulty thermostat. Clean the passages (reverse flow with a garden hose) and check the thermostat.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Hi All,

That sounds like you were repeating the same mistake every time you changed an impeller. It is time for a step by step with the manual in hand.

Chief Petty Officer
The cost savings do not justify the potential disaster.

Aftermarket impellers don't pump enough. Buy OEM