Converting Boat Lift For Pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice
Hello!

I recently came into the ability to pick up a shore station boat lift for super cheap (few hundred) and am curious about the ability to use it for my pontoon boat. I have a 20' pontoon as you can see in the photo attached to this message. I also attached 3 different photos of the lift showing more detail about it. My question is... Can I convert this V lift for a speed/fishing boat over to work with my pontoon? I do not know the exact model of the lift unfortunately, I'm working on finding that information but I do know that the lift is 9' wide "internally" inside the posts as well as 9' long inside the posts as well (a square) and my pontoon is 8' wide. That's a little tight but I'm thinking that if this would work that it might still be fine.

My questions are...

1.) Do you think I could convert this lift to a pontoon lift in a way that I'm not spending $1300 on the pontoon conversion bunks from ShoreStation directly? It's a great design, but for $1300, that seems extreme. Plus, I'm not even sure this lift would be big enough for it to work.

2.) If it would work, do I even need to have bunks for it to work with my pontoon? Or could I simply take some of the bunk fabric and wrap it around the cross members and just rest the pontoons on that and call it a day? Or, I attached a photo that shows where the hull of the speedboat would rest or be caught with a rubber flex piece, could I simply attach that across the entire cross member and go that route?

I know that there is another option to where I could buy from ShoreStation two bunk converters that would basically allow me to lift the boat up under the deck like those scissor lifts do, but the conversion cost for the raisers for that route cost about $400 and then I'd have to buy the wood, wrap it and at that point in time, I'm still unsure it would work to begin with.

My ideal solution would be to simply buy some felt and wrap the cross member and just rest the pontoon on the steel/aluminum and remove the v hull bunks altogether and just call it a day, but with it not being a straight bar and more of a U shape, would that cause a problem?

I'm not even sure the lift would work to begin with, so I'm leery to invest money into it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• photo289793.jpg
    photo289793.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289794.jpg
    photo289794.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 6
  • photo289795.jpg
    photo289795.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo289796.jpg
    photo289796.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 5

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I would make bunks to fit the toons, a couple 2x6 set in a "v" pattern for each toon, so the load is supported in a broader area. A little carpet and done.Better would be some uprights set up so it sits like it would on the trailer, no stress on the pontoons. While toons are heavy, they usually are not any more heavy than a glass 20' boat.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have that set up for two boats. One: Crownline 266 BR and Two: Bennington 26 Toon.

Toon bunks are set in a V to the outside to accomodate the Toon.

Crown bunks are set to the inside to accomodate the Crown.

All the bunks are 2 X 6.

The lift has a 7K# capacity built into a permanent covered structure. Lifts from above-remote control.

The lift has two cross bar assemblies (aluminum) that allow bolting on different bunk assemblies.

ahicks

Captain
The lift will handle the weight without a doubt. The area of caution to consider, in my mind anyway, is about supporting the pontoons in a manner where the pontoons will not be deformed when supported by the lift. That's going to require a lot more "structure" than just wrapping some carpet around the lift cross members.

Something to consider, our boats are often used as lake side patios, potentially collecting several people (or more) while still on the lift. Obviously, that can add up to a lot of extra weight, something you may give little thought to later on when the boat is in use. Again, I have little doubt the lift is up for that, it's way more about providing the necessary support for the 'toons!

So I'm all in for the conversion to 'toon lift, but would exercise caution regarding how that 'toon is supported (weight distribution).

Last thought, I would make sure something is done regarding some type of positioning device to assure the pontoon is on the lift far enough, prior to lifting it......

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the information! So you think from a weight standpoint I'd be okay to hold a pontoon vs a normal boat? Also, I realize it will be tight, but do you think the fact my boat is 8' wide and the lift inside is 9' that I'd have enough room to work with?

So, if I build V bunks for the pontoons, how long would you think they need to be to safely hold my 20' boat?

Also, where can I get some sturdy brackets that I can attach at all 4 corners for mounting the bunks to? I'd like to avoid drilling into the lift if possible and use a similar bolt/clamp that is currently on there so I can easily unbolt and slide to adjust it as needed..

Do you think I'd have to worry about the lift being too short (length wise) and being top heavy since my boat is 20' and the lift is only 9' which means there's about 5.5' hanging off the front and the back?

Thanks!
Mike

ahicks

Captain
Not much doubt you'll need to be "creative" to avoid paying the long dollar for commercial brackets. Can't help you there. I just wanted to mention that if going with this plan myself, I would have the back of the boat a little closer to the lift than the front. Instead of splitting the difference evenly (5.5'/5.5') I would go something like 3' to the rear and 8' to the front. The back of most pontoons will be significantly heavier due to engine, fuel tank, and battery, so I'd want to try and support that better.

Regarding whether 9' is wide enough, if you've had a pontoon for a while, and you're docking in a reasonably sheltered area, I'd think that wouldn't be bad at all. If new, and you're out in relatively exposed area where you're going to be exposed to a lot of cross winds at docking speeds, that might be a bit of a challenge.....

Challenges when docking a 'toon in a cross wind can make anyone cry though. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger when/if it happens. I've had a 'toon for many years and STILL screw up while parking ours on a regular pontoon lift occasionally. Yes, embarrassing! You'd think somebody that's been driving one of these since the 70's could park the darn thing without crashing into the lift!

mike2587

Seaman Apprentice
Do you know where I can get the brackets that I was indicating that would work with my lift in a way I didn't have to bolt them into the lift itself? I'm not sure the best ones that would be strong enough to do the job, perhaps a link to some you'd suggest?

I guess at this point my biggest concern is that the lift will be sturdy enough to hold the boat and not tipsy since it's shorter then that of the pontoon itself. What length bunks do you feel I should build? Also, 2x4's or 2x6's?

Thanks!
Mike

ahicks

Captain
You're on your own with the brackets (that's what I meant by getting "creative"). I would make them from heavy gauge (1/4"?) angle alum. if building a set myself. Angle grinder (Harbor Freight if you need one) will make short work of cutting them to length. U bolts (maybe from Tractor Supply?) sized to fit over the cross bars would fasten the angle to the cross bars. If all this seems a bit much, maybe a few calls to some of the lift Manfs., to see what they get for the brackets and U bolts you need/can use, will shed some light on your project. You'll find the prices not so bad and go that way, or they're so expensive that will provide the motivation to make your own!

I would go 2x6 for sure, probably 16' because they're easy to get. Do NOT use treated (green) wood! There's an acid used in that treating process that will pit your alum. tubes. Bad news if that happens...

The lift won't be tippy as long as you have the weight of the boat centered, even something close to centered, on that lift. You are not the first to do this! A lot of people have replaced their ski boats with pontoon boats and been through this same process.

Drdgdo

Recruit
We have that set up for two boats. One: Crownline 266 BR and Two: Bennington 26 Toon.

Toon bunks are set in a V to the outside to accomodate the Toon.

Crown bunks are set to the inside to accomodate the Crown.

All the bunks are 2 X 6.

The lift has a 7K# capacity built into a permanent covered structure. Lifts from above-remote control.

The lift has two cross bar assemblies (aluminum) that allow bolting on different bunk assemblies.
I would love to see a few pictures of your pontoon lift. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.