Console

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice
On December 16th of last year, I posted a thread with the above title. Received 13 responses, none which particularlly helped me. I got out pen and paper, drew my own console and constructed it. Had it upholstered and all gauges I was wanting put in. I think it turned out pretty good, but just to upholster it and recover the seat cost a little over $350.00. Probably would have been better off just to purchase one of the consoles from the net and saved 75.00 to a hundred dollars, but I didn't do that. Guess it comes back to the old saying about a old fool and his money. At any rate, if I can post a picture I'll do so. Other than that, everyone should consider the original thread closed. LOL

Attachments

• console 002.jpg
    console 002.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Console

Looks nice "LA.Wise", matches the Captains chair nicely. I'm going to take a guess here that the red button on the side is for the horn ??? Sorry we didn't help you out the first time. We're really not as smart as you think we are !!!:D

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It depends on what you want as a end result. Personaly I enjoy making things to fit in a certin spot and it normaly saves space and you get exactly what you want and yes it may cost a bit more but then it is custom made and no one elese has one like it and this is from a man who has dropped around 4000 on a deck rebuild over this last winter.

I think Hawker gave you some good advice; "I got out pen and paper, drew my own console and constructed it." And essentially, that's what you did. Honestly, I don't think you need 35 guys chiming in that will end up telling you the same thing other than build the base from 1/4" board, shape it, glass it with CSM, fair it (best advice I got).

I had asked about building a center console a few weeks ago and got a similar response. I was thinking about using foam board or maybe forming a glassed shell over a frame. All of which seemed--in the end--way too much work. I also "googled" info and came up with similar suggestions. Other than pen/paper and draw, there's not much advice to give anyone.

Yours looks good! What did you do under all that upholstery?

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a good looking console. If the gauges, switches and controls are where you want them, that is all that counts. I would consider that a job well done.

Glenn

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It may have cost a bit more but you made it yourself, I do that for almost everything on mine, I would much rather make something than buy it of coarse all my stuff is aluminum and I run an aluminum fab shop so my prices are a bit more reaasonable.

Nice job.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hand made my own console using PVC 3/4" lumber. It goes by the product name of AZEK. it's used in the building industry. Not cheap ($140.00 for a 4X8 sheet) but it will outlast anything on the market including fiberglass. It's a little heavy but it will never fade or warp or discolor even in direct sunlight. I found a fiberglass top on eBay & made my base from the AZEK & its solid as a rock. You can use regular wood working tools & it can be painted any color & clear coated or just leave it plain white which is what it comes in. I've build live well boxes & storage boxes using it too. GREAT STUFF for the price. The picture below is NOT the one "I" built but was built by someone else but you can see the base as well as the fiberglass instrument panel mounted on the top. I do have this one on my boat now but it's not the one I originally built. Been doing some rewiring so don't look at the mess under the console.

DSC00173.JPG

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

VAGent, that is a very nice looking console. I want to thank everyone who has responded to the thread as it is great to be able to express myself and get the feedback I have received. Guess the best thing about my console, is If it proves to not be functional, I can rip it out and start all over. I didn't quite like the "padding" they put under the vynal, as it has a tendency to wrap around the battery powered screw driver, but at last I finally learned to do everything manual and forget the power. LOL

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Personaly I think it came out real nice, and it looks like you have room to expand and add stuff. I am going to have to build my self another one it got crouded fast

lconsol 512 gif.jpg