Console steering/throttle for small inflatable

I have a small Seabright 270 8' 10" inflatable that I would like to set up some kind of console steering/throttle system on. I plan to use a 9.9 4 stroke, but all the short shaft models I have looked at are only available with tiller steer. I know Yamaha has control boxes that can be used for throttle and gear shifting, but I can't find a whole bunch of information about how the remote steering setups work and if any modifications are needed to attach one to a tiller-steer outboard.

My boat has a sectional aluminum floor, so I'll either have to come up with some kind of a bracket to wedge in between the pontoons to hold the steering wheel, or maybe I could fabricate a bracket to attach to the removable "seat" bar that can be used in the middle of the boat.

Any suggestions or ideas would be a great.

Thanks

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Console steering/throttle for small inflatable

I hope you take this as constructive advice, not criticism...An 8'9" inflatable is a bit on the small side for the setup you are suggesting. You'll likely need a place to sit, mounting system for the wheel and controls, some safety gear, etc. The floor space gets eaten up quickly! Are you firmly locked into the idea of not steering with a tiller? If so, I would give serious consideration to an upsized boat, like at least 11'. At the very least, use some cardboard and packing tape to build mock ups of your ideas on the boat. I'd hate to see you jump through a bunch of hoops and burn a lot of $$ for a disappointing outcome. Best wishes on the project.
Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Likalar is right, too small sib for console, besides will lose most if not all available deck space...

Happy Boating

Bayside Bert54

Recruit

I decided to look into the same for my Avon 315 (roughly 11') rib. It's currently got a smooth Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke with the tiller steering. My problem is that it's powerful enough to be dangerous and between the twist throttle and backwards tiller steering, I think it would be safer as a console ... more fun too! ... I like the idea of being centered in the boat with intuitive controls and something to hold onto.

I looked into it and found a nice new Zodiac 10.5' Hypalon at Annapolis Inflatables (410-800-4443) complete with a 20hp Tohatsu 4 stroke, console steering and throttle, seat, electric start, bilge pump .. even navigation lights! . It would have ended up costing me $4k to rig the existing boat and it would have still been a little or alot half-***.

So ... I'll sell the Avon and see how this goes.

Mike

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is wrong with tiller steering? Put some hours on your boats and you will be completely comfortable driving them. Drive slow at a speed that is comfortable, no one says you have to use all the power. I have a bigger boat and want it to be tiller since it opens up floor space for dive gear and people. Adding extra weight in will also slow the boat down, and increase set up time if you deflate between uses. Obviously folding up a RIB is not going to happen.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Peter C asked "What is wrong with tiller steering?" I had the same thought. I read the original post again, and realize he may not have a motor yet, so he might be working on a hunch that a wheel and console is better. Then again, he may have a bum shoulder or other circumstance that prevents him from using a tiller.
Years ago a friend took me out for the maiden voyage on his first-ever boat, a used 12 ft with a 9.9. It started easily, but he had trouble steering, setting the throttle, trouble reaching the shift lever, etc.... I kept quiet, but was chuckling inside, remembering my first boating excursion. After a few minutes, he moved himself over to the starboard side, left hand on the tiller, and all was well. It's fun times setting up a new boat, and lots of good memories.
Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nodody is born with boating skills, must pass as each of us through a learning curve while learning solo or with a experienced boater to your side that can correct your inexperience. Console steering has it's issues too specially while docking properly.

Happy Boating

Bayside Bert54

Recruit

I spend the summer in a bayside community where the 20'-50' power and sailboats are on moorings and all of the owners have dinghy's. From my experience, the small dinghy that is able to travel faster with better control in bigger water is the one with the steering console and seat. It's more like driving a small watercraft then a dinghy. The console even serves to take some of the splash over the bow and the automatic bilge pump does it's job well. I understand the attraction of light and simple though so I might hold onto my Avon 315 while I try out the new Zodiac 310 Bayrunner with the console.

Mike

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From my experience, the small dinghy that is able to travel faster with better control in bigger water is the one with the steering console and seat.
I think these guys might beg to differ ;)