Computer question on Windows2000

petryshyn

Commander
Does anyone know how to set the permissions for the use of a CD burner in Win2k? Any ideas?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Computer question on Windows2000

Hi Schematic - There are a few unknowns around how your copy of Windows is set up, what permissions you have and what software you're using with the CD Burner - but have you tried the following?<br /><br />1. Double-click on "My Computer"<br />2. You should see your CD burner in the list of drives - if it's installed correctly.<br />3. Right-click on the CD Burner and a menu should pop-up. There should be an item on the menu called "Sharing". <br />4. If Sharing is on the menu, click it and you're in the right place to set up sharing and permissions etc.

petryshyn

Commander

Hi 62_Kiwi<br /><br />We just changed over to Win2k. I have Administrator rights and have no problem burning CD's. It's the other users (power uers)that are having the problem. I'm not sure whether the problem is with permissions in Win2k, or the burner software, NERO. When they try to burn with NERO, a Nero error comes up that they need CD permissions granted. I've checked Nero's help file and it points me to "File > preferences > security". Problem is, there is no such menu within preferences. Nero says its Win2k compatable. Of course they don't answer their support questions! I won't be back to work till saturday, so I'll try sharing as you say within Win2k. Any other ideas? Have you ever seen the security tab in NERO? Do you normaly have to set permissions in Win2k and also within the burner software?<br /><br />Thanks

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Schematic - yes it sounds like Nero's help is written for an earlier version of Windows. I find that one of the challenges of working with Windows is that each version (ie 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP etc) looks much the same on the surface, but has all these subtle differences when you get into setting things up and configuring.<br /><br />I'm not sure at this stage whether you're all sharing the same CD burner over a LAN, or you've each got one in your own computers.<br />If you're sharing the same one and it's located on your computer - then the steps I described earlier should fix it.<br /><br />I have not had any direct experience with Nero, but I think what it's saying is that it can't get access to the CD Burner beacuse the user doesn't have the necessary permission.<br /><br />When you are networking PCs together it is normal to have to grant permission to other users to access any drives or printers on your PC. On stand-alone PCs it is not so normal - but can be done if you want to for different users on the same machine.<br /><br />Windows 2000, like NT before it - is totally built on the concept that every user, every process etc must have permission to do whatever they are doing. Windows 95 and 98 were not built the same way - permission granting was not so fundamental.<br /><br />I hope this helps - it makes a change for me to be giving you advice!<br /><br />But remember the line; Heck I've never even seen your computer... ;)

petryshyn

Commander

ditto 62_Kiwi, I know exactly what you mean "Heck, I've never even seen your computer..."...LOL..LOL There is nothing worse than answering computer questions from a distance!!<br /><br />Everyone has their own computer in their respective office. We have one extra computer with a CD burner, scanner and a bunch of expensive software. I'm setting up permissions for our department staff only. The login at that workstation will determine permissions granted. I think you're right, I'll try granting permissions to the CD and maybe NERO will stop complaining!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you know my findings tommorrow or tuesday.<br /><br />Thanks :)

petryshyn

Commander

No luck 62_Kiwi<br /><br />The drive was already shared out. I must have done it from previous desperation. I contacted Nero. They say its their screw-up. Thats a relief. So I'm waiting for a patch.<br /><br />Thanks 62_Kiwi :)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Schematic, thanks for informing me of the outcome. It's good that the cause of the problem is now found.<br /><br />I respect a company that will admit to a screw-up and then fix it promptly (at least you know where you stand). Of course, nothing beats a company that doesn't make mistakes in the first place....

petryshyn

Commander

Yo 62_Kiwi <br />Got the patch from Nero today....works fine. Its not available from their website, so if you need......its yours. (You gotta try Nero for your burner) There is a free download.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow - that was quick. Thanks Schematic, I'll bear that in mind when next looking at CD Burners. Great that it's all working now.