Combatting Water/Damp Conditions inside of boat?

hostage

Lieutenant
I am finding out how poorly designed Regal makes the boats in terms of channeling water. The 2011 Regal 2300 that I just aquired has carpet on the bottom of the storage areas and painted fibergerglass. The paint likes to flake off and the carpet likes to stay wet. I purchased some modular vented raised flooring tiles to to help keep things dry and not absorb water from the damp carpet. I am hoping that will help a bit and at least not get people's bags/tote wet, when they stow it in the boat. The only place I would say is "dry storage" is the gove box. At least someone had enough brains to have some type of channel to guide the water away. Though everywhere else is soaking wet.

I know some people use activated charcoal, calcium cloride/damp rid for long term storage. Any recommendations for use during the season? I am thinking of getting a 100w solar panel, bildge blower, and designing/3d printing a mount that sits in the anchor locker. Do you guys have any suggestions, tricks, and thoughts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Winter weather has low absolute humidity. So if the boat is well ventilated and covered to keep precipitation out, it should dry out and stay dry.

Rip out the carpet and install those soft plastic mesh mats. They dry much faster.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
1. Store it in a dry building.
2. If one is not available, build one yourself.
3. If that's not possible cover it outdoors with a fully waterproof cover.

Before any of the above, get inside and mop up up all water and make the inside completely dry.

I know people swear by shrink wrap, but I have seen too many boats full of mildew after using it. A breathable cover and being dry in the first place is the answer.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I would be more concerned about where this water is comming from and figure out how to stop it..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I would be more concerned about where this water is comming from and figure out how to stop it..
When the family was young and we boated often, getting in and out of the water by family members and their toys added a fair amount. I drained it after the events, hung everything wet out (elsewhere) to dry with hatches open and stored it in a garage uncovered, or if under a tarp tarp was open at the ends, tent style and was well ventilated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as “dry storage” on a boat.

All my storage is properly gasketed and guttered. Keeps the water out, but does nothing to protect goods from the humidity of the marine environment.

Anything moisture sensitive (clothes, towels, paper towels, etc.) go in sealed plastic containers before being stowed.

Long term storage solutions vary by location. Pretty easy in the desert, not so much on a tropical island….

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I am finding out how poorly designed Regal makes the boats in terms of channeling water. The 2011 Regal 2300 that I just aquired has carpet on the bottom of the storage areas and painted fibergerglass.
I have owned 3 Regals and have friends that have also owned multiple Regals ,none with that issue.You are either not covering your boat properly or maybe not covering it at all.Try a fan on 24/7 .Charlie