Clasic 50 lack of air to carburetors?

DaveinFL

Cadet
I believe it is a 1987? Good compression. New plug wires, fuel lines etc... in the water, it won't rev over 3000 RPM with the cover clamped. Take the front piece off you can tell a slight difference. Unclamp the middle cover to let air in and it jumps on plane. I thought it had an exhaust leak. On land, Plugging the exhaust I cant see or hear anything around the engine. I put the cover on and plugged the exhaust ran it, turned it off and pulled the cover, no smoke. Intake on the bottom motor cover is not restricted. Suggestions please.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps small creatures built a home in the cowling somewhere.-----Also look for wires that might be touching the cowling and killing spark to a cylinder.

DaveinFL

Cadet
Perhaps small creatures built a home in the cowling somewhere.-----Also look for wires that might be touching the cowling and killing spark to a cylinder.
There is definitely a gremlin under that cover but nothing that builds nests. The spark jumping is a good idea. I changed the plugs and wires but that doesn't mean I didn't catch a defective wire. This boat went through 2 different owners who couldn't find the problem, me being the 3rd. You don't have to take the cover off for the motor to speed up, just open the clamp. That's why I was thinking air flow. It may have made just enough gap to stop the spark from jumping?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors are also know to plug up the exhaust tuner with carbon.-----I can not see , hear or feel your motor.-----But as usual I will say that some simple trouble shooting needs to be done.----Should not be hard to figure this out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Interesting comment. Here I have a "dirt dobber" problem. I get them by the thousands durning the summer and you won't believe where I find the nests. I have been concerned about them getting under my cowl and in my intake manifold to do their dirty work, thinking what their decaying nest's dirt will do for my engine.

I would dismantle anything in front of the carbs and inspect for such. Also look up under the cowling, usually near the top of the engine where air is allowed in to feed into the cowling for the carb inputs. A big nasty nest could be blocking that off.

They are just amazing...they live to build nests and lay eggs seems to me; very determined. The other thing amazing about them is their navigation system. They look around for a dark place to build a nest and seccure a route to that nest they decided to build.

Sometimes I deliberately block their path with something. They test different directions in an attempt to get around whatever it is to see if they can get back on the "beam" (for lack of a better word) back to the nest.

I close my big 12'x 12' sliding doors sometimes to aggravate them. Some go along the doors testing for an entrance till they find a path to get around the doors in the cracks along the side of the door to building interface. Others go around the building and come in a side door. Once they find that route they use it on return flights.

They love electric motors and have ruined several around the shop. I have to build screen wire cages around things like my drill presses, band saws and hand operated electric tools.

A real PIA I assure you.

DaveinFL

Cadet
These motors are also know to plug up the exhaust tuner with carbon.-----I can not see , hear or feel your motor.-----But as usual I will say that some simple trouble shooting needs to be done.----Should not be hard 2 strokes are always a learning process for me.

These motors are also know to plug up the exhaust tuner with carbon.-----I can not see , hear or feel your motor.-----But as usual I will say that some simple trouble shooting needs to be done.----Should not be hard to figure this out.
Every time I think I have it figured out it doesn't work out. If nothing else I am patient. Running on muffs I went all over the plug wires with no signs of leakage. I plugged off all the (exhaust) openings as best I could with duct tape and hooked up a smoke machine. I managed to get 7 PSI in it. There were No leaks anywhere except for the top carburetor. The smoke was not coming out fast but it was noticeable. It is not showing typical symptoms of bad Reed valves, no popping out the carbs or rough idle. I considered a plugged exhaust. In the automotive world it made the motor a real dog, it wouldn't rev up. This motor has power if the air flow to the carburetor is increased. I'll keep at it and let ya all know what I find.