Choosing a power plant for a new boat

seamegr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, all looks well to order a new boat this fall. My dilemma is this. Right now my current boat has a VP 3.0 with an SX drive. And we have had good luck with it. The same dealer can look after either VP or Merc. We do trailer to other locations, there are certainly more MC dealers than VP.

The new boat will have 320HP and a single prop drive.

My choices are between a VP 5.7 GXi/SX 320hp or the Mercruiser MX 6.2/Bravo 1 320hp. (I cannot be trusted with $1000.00 prop sets that the Duoprop and BIII use)

I would like to try a Merc 'cos I have never had one, and I want the option for Smartcraft gauges but the Merc is about $2500 more money.

Does anyone have any arguments either way?

Thanks

Greg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Choosing a power plant for a new boat

i've had both merc and volvo. inho there is no comparison to volvo drive. i have a 5.7 SX, 23' chris craft deckboat, will never go back to merc.

seamegr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TD, thanks for your input. The only complaint I have with my SX is corrosion. Too much for my liking, freshwater docked, magnesium anodes and active corrosion protection.

Greg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't understand that, as ours is saltwater use, trailered and rinsed everytime. it does spend 1 month a year in the salt water docked. we have no problem, although time to change anodes.