Chevy v. Ford

bigmarc66

Seaman
Just a little smack talking thread. New Ford vs. Old Chevy. 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty vs. 1987 Chevy K20. Chevy's mine and Ford is a friend. We love the constant battle, but I find it hard do beat the old 350. What do you guys think?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Chevy v. Ford

Don't think the Ford will be around in 20 years...er almost 22

MISSBAJA

Cadet

Dont be mad.. I love my fords!
I have an F150 w/ 265k miles on it, and plenty to still run!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Love the look of older Chevy's from '88 up. I have a '90 and I love it. I absolutely hate the new ones. Conversly, I was never a fan of the Ford's but the new style is gorgeous. Looks like they slapped a huge hideous grill on them though for '09.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I'm a big time GM truck fan....love 'em, but I wouldn't want lay bets on the chevy in those two 'dukin' it out if the Ford is a diesel. Now a Duramax in there....I'm all in.;)
GM has always built a good truck, probably the best thing they do. These days tho' they are all good quality and you would hard pressed to find lemon in any of the big three.
Good comparison tho'....lots of fun, just like what I do with my Ford fan brother-in-law.:D:D
BP:cool:

Benny1963

Lieutenant

in a drag race chevy over f250 in stock form
done it got the shirt

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have a 70 chevy c-10 love that body style 67-72 the 73-87 you could here them rust up here in the northern states:eek: ......... but at to the current question of the two i would take the ford .................but dodge is my first choice :D

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I Have Had Plenty Of The Chevys Loved Them But When It Came To Towing A Boat Around The 350's I Have Had Always Want To Heat Up To Much Then I Got A 86 3/4 Ton Suburban With 454 And The Tow Package That Was A Great Truck Never Overheated Never Lacked For Power Just Like To Eat Gas 8 Miles To The Gallon Weather I Was Towing Or Just Driveing Around

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Toyota Is The Best..........!!

Gotcha...........:D:D:D

Actually, I've had a Ford truck, Chevy truck, and now a Toyota truck (Tundra). In all honesty, the Toyota's hood has only been up for regular stuff like oil changes, the Ford and Chevy I owned needed a new hood latch before 60K. ;)

puddle jumper

Captain

I own a 78 chev and a 07 ford150 i like both trucks a lot for different reasons. My self being in the automotive business i don't particularly like one over the other but like parts of all of them. If only all manufacturers could get together and build an automobile we would have perfect transportation. Toyota make a very good automobile but for the cost of one you can get a lot more in an domestic auto.

Bigprairie1

Commander

i have a 70 chevy c-10 love that body style 67-72 the 73-87 you could here them rust up here in the northern states:eek: ......... but at to the current question of the two i would take the ford .................but dodge is my first choice :D

I'm with you on the 67-72 series. I have a 72' Cheyenne Super (Arizona/air truck) that was meant to replace a mint 72' Chev Cheyenne (Texas) that was stolen about 10 years ago. Without question the best truck I've ever owned.:)
Never was completely taken with that 73-87 rust series.
...but the Dodge choice....hmmmm, not so much.
I'd consider an old Ford late 60's maybe, just for kicks.;)
Regardless, any new truck is high in quality and reliability.
BP
:)

mthieme

Captain

I've had both and Dodge. I'll take a Chevy any day of the week...more durable and cheaper.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Woah, I was gonna comment on the Chev-Ford issue but I clicked on that pic and it locked up then shut down my comptuer twice...

captmello

Captain

I've had two ford f150s. 5.8 and a 4.9. Still have the 4.9 225k, runs better than when I got it @ 100k.

My boats got a 350, its all good!

zach103

Commander

gunna be purchasing a f-150 soon. but had a chance to but a 69 mustang for 3k. too bad i was only 14 at the time.

still wish i had one

Benny1963

Lieutenant

row roy i said in stock form your computer un touched will shut ya down
i have a short wheel base with crate 350 with the fast burn heads all factory parts 373 gears runnind quadrajunk carb it runs 12,70s all day long
im not knocking the ford diesel i would buy one in a heart beat to tow or work out of my buddies rides great has awsome lowend power and get damed good milage for the size of the truck ,
not compareing in its capabilitys but in 1/4 mile i can eat him up
but if ya put a strap on my truck and his he would rip me in half lol
i ran one with bully dog ex and programer and exhaust in the bracket class
and it was fast i had to spray my truck and chase him down got him by two cars on 100 hp shot ,we both broke out . ilove the ford s there beautiful
but heavy high geared and limited by computer but to drive every day i would take the ford

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

3 years ago, my company bought my boss a new Silverado and me an Express van. During these 3 years our mileages are within 4K miles of each other. Nothing has been done to my van except 2 new tires, air filter, wiper blades, and oil changes. His truck on the other hand has had 4 sets of new tires (wore the first ones off in the first 10K miles), new heads because of the new coolant creating leaks, 2 sets of brake pads/rotors, problems with the electrical, and constant front end alignment problems. Why such a large difference between these two vehicles? I'm still running two original tires with 60K+ miles on them. They still have plenty of tread for another 10K miles. I must admit that I have a pair of snow tires that I rotate for the winter.

As for the argument of what is best depends on the use. Chevys are great for pick up and go. Ford is a great truck for being a work horse. Probably why many are used as ambulances across the country. I drive both, work both, and have found that they all break down eventually.

I always love the phrase "It worked fine yesterday" ! Isn't that the case on anything that gets broken?

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

I love my 02 ford F250 SD. Replaced the original tires at 101K and the shocks at 110K. Still has the original brakes with lots of pad left. The only other thing that's been done to it was to replace the rear u joints at 95K. One was bad, the other 3 still looked good.

My average combined mileage for 115K is 18.75 MPG. It's a long bed super cab, with 4X4, 6 speed manual, 3.73 gears, and the 7.3 diesel.

I haven't owned a Chevy PU so I can't say anything good or bad. Had an old Dodge Ram Charger with a 360 that was a great running truck. Only problem was it got 10 MPG on the highway whether it was empty, or towing a house.