Cheap high Octane gas!!!

bandit86

Banned
take regular gas and add some diesel. Octane boosters say to add 16oz. to 25 gallons of fuel, (or 473ml (half Litre) to 95Liter). basically .5L to 100L to raise fuel 2-3 points. add 1L to 100L to make 94 octane fuel. 32 Oz to 25 galloons of regular to make 25 gallons of 94 octane

Diesel and Kerosene is very similar, will work if mixed up.
Kero is #1 fuel oil, diesel fuel is #2
Difference is the parafin/ wax content or long chain hydrocarbon molecules 10-18 molecules per chain for thicker oil products.
kero has less heat per gallon than #2 diesel, kerosene burns much cleaner with less BTU per gallon,
Kerosene and jet fuel are the same thing just filtered better.
Kero is added to diesel in the winter to lower the cloud point or the temp that the parafin in the diesel starts to solidify.

Check SECTION 3 of the Material Safety Data SHeet. Octane booster is 60-100% Kerosene. Other ingredients make up 1-5% at the most. 100% Kerosene!!!
http://www.amsoil.com/msds/aob_cob.

Pass it on!!!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Cheap high Octane gas!!!

I'd pass it on, if it was true.
The kerosene is the carrier for the octane booster but doesn't affect the octane rating. The octane booster part is usually Toulene, Xylene, MTBE, Methanol, Ethanol.
Kind of like saying milk is the same as water because milk is 95% water......

halfmoa

Ensign

Toulene from the hardware store is an awesome octane booster! Keeps the injectors sparkly too!

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Toulene from the hardware store is an awesome octane booster! Keeps the injectors sparkly too!

Agreed, you can find xylene too if you look.

Lots of info on homebrew racegas if you get into the hotrod forums.

mscher

Lieutenant

Octane is not about BTUs, but about the ability to resist "detonation", during the piston firing stroke.

#1 or #2 fuel oil additives, won't accomplish this.

Toluene, xylene etc will, as others have stated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Tricarbonyl(methylcyclopentadienyl)manganese is the octane booster in the Amsoil product. Like tx1961whaler said, kerosene does nothng.

Here is the link the OP was trying to post http://www.amsoil.com/msds/aob_cob.pdf

There is no real benefit of boosting the octane in fuel unless you tune the engine to take advantage of it. Otherwise, like buying high octane fuel from the gas station, you are wasting your money.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Octane is not about BTUs, but about the ability to resist "detonation", during the piston firing stroke.

#1 or #2 fuel oil additives, won't accomplish this.

Toluene, xylene etc will, as others have stated.

Technically to resist detonation during the compression stroke prior to any spark.
The higher the compression ratio, the need for higher octane increases.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Octane boosters that raise fuel a certain amount of points... actually the points are measured in 0.1 So three or four points is actually only 0.3 or 0.4 added to your 87 octane... so basically not worth your money. Just pony up for premium :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

halfmoa

Ensign

I'd have to wonder what Fuel oil would do to that very expensive O2 sensor and cat. convertor.

The octane booster that bruceb58 referred to is a minimum of 60% kerosene so probably not much.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I'd have to wonder what Fuel oil would do to that very expensive O2 sensor and cat. convertor.
I agree! That is also why I would never put SeaFoam in a vehicle with an O2 sensor or cat convertor either.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Sea Foam will not hurt an O2 sensor or cat when used as the label directs use as a full tank additive.

The major danger to O2 sensors and cats is any leaded fuel.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

"They" also use to claim that mixing two different octane levels of gasoline 50/50 would give you a higher octane level than either of the two.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sea Foam will not hurt an O2 sensor or cat when used as the label directs use as a full tank additive.
That's what the manufacturer claims. Ask any car manufacturer if they suggest putting a fuel additive that contains 60% oil and see what they have to say about it.

There are a lot of fuel system cleaners that are better than SeaFoam(Techron is one) that don't have oil in them.

Friend of mine just wiped out his O2 sensors after having a valve guide problem. Culprit was the oil getting burnt. If the oil in SeaFoam is going to reduce the life of the O2 sensor, I don't see any reason to use the stuff.

NYBo

Admiral

A cat con will burn off oil to a certain extent without measurable harm; recommended amounts of SeaFoam are well below this level.

But I prefer Techron anyway, on those rare occasions when the injectors seem to be a little clogged (after long storage).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A cat con will burn off oil to a certain extent without measurable harm; recommended amounts of SeaFoam are well below this level.
So at what level do you believe would there be harm? This an opinion of yours right or do you have data that was taken to support this claim?

I am actually way more concerned with the O2 sensor than the Cat

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I don't understand how toluene can boost octane since it's an ingredient of TNT( TriNitroToluene).
Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only cheap high octane i know of is $4.06 a gallon here

halfmoa

Ensign

I don't understand how toluene can boost octane since it's an ingredient of TNT( TriNitroToluene).
Mike

Toluene's octane is 114 using the (R+M)/2 method and both toluene and gasoline are derived from the same process albeit at different stages.

The toluene nitrates are lavated with a sodium bicarbonate and water solution to remove excess oxides in the synthesis of TNT but that doesn't mean baking soda and water is unsafe to drink.