Changing oil without a dipstick

lord1234

Cadet
I have an engine I bought from Center State Engine, however there was no dipstick installed on it. What's the easiest way to change the oil without a dipstick?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What motor,..??
How do you check the oil,..??
Where's the dipstick from the old motor,..??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What motor,..??
Why wasn't the original dipstick installed during the swap,..??

lord1234

Cadet
It was a replacement motor for a VP 5.7. I didn't do the swap, let's just say that the person who did it is not on my Xmas card list...

Bondo

Staff member
Well,... I hate to state the obvious, but job #1 is to install the dipstick,.....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Yep, the dipstick should have been transferred from the old engine or a new one installed. There is probably a hole, mine was on the starboard side, that can be used.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Or the dip stick tube may route to the oil pan drain plug. That's how mine is routed.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you cannot get a location for the dipstick this is something I have done.
Sierra # 18-7891. This is the kit with a double inlet 1/4” npt and a 1/2” 20 male that threads in the pan drain. Make sure that the threads are not metric. The flexible hose is used to drain the oil through the bilge drain. On the un used side install a 1/4” male npt X 3/8” inverted flare fitting. NAPA or other auto stores have 3/8” steel tubing with the flare nuts In 36” lengths. After every thing is installed in the pan you will have to start hand bending the tubing and secure it where ever possible. Put 5 quarts of oil in the engine, start it to fill the filter and with a dipstick start gauging, you will have to probably start cutting the tubing until the dipstick shows full.

kenny nunez

Captain
In addition to the above post universal dipstick tube kits are available a Summit. There is one that has a npt thread that will screw into the brass block that the Sierra kit has.