Changing from 8" to 13" wheels on EZ Loader?

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,<br /><br />I have a mid 80's 15' Smokercraft "Big Fisherman" (50hp Johnson) with a EZ Loader roller trailer that has 480x8" wheels/tires. I do NOT drive 55, more like 75! I'm thinking of doing some long distance fishing trips this season and I'm considering buying some 13" wheels with 175/80 tires. I know I'll have to deal with fender clearance but I'm not sure how loading/unloading will be affected by the 3-3.5" height increase. Boat floats off trailer very easily with the small 8" wheels. I can easily go 2-3' deeper in the water if needed. Will I need to raise the axle to offset the new tire height? Any comments from experience would be appreciated!<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Piet

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Changing from 8" to 13" wheels on EZ Loader?

Will I need to raise the axle to offset the new tire height?
I don't understand..?????<br />Taller tires Will Raise the Axle center line...<br />As long as you use the same bolt pattern,(4 on 4", or 5 on 4 1/2")+ deal with the Fender issue, You Shouldn't have Any Problems......

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply. I *thought* I could do the reverse of a truck lift kit by lowering the frame-to-axle relationship. As you stated I doubt it will be needed!

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

If you go 4.80 by 12" tires, you probably won't even have to move the fenders, and you should be able to handle the highway speeds too.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Piet, i'm going through the same predicament. The only diff is that I just bought 3 brand new Galvanized 4.8X8 wheels and tires :confused: I'm not really worried about the boat and the trailer. I'm worried about the clearance under the trailer. Because my 12footer is so light won't lifting the trailer make it more top heavy(raise the center of gravity)and unstable? My buddy said that I can reverse the U bolts but I have no idea what he's talkin about....Anyone have any suggestions?????....Warren<br /><br />Heres a pic of my trailer...The wheels are embarrassingly small......<br /> http://members.dslextreme.com/users/warren1974/images/boat front.JPG

D

DJ

Piet,<br /><br />The 12" might be an easier transition. Don't know, without seeing your rig.<br /><br />One thing you may want to consider is flipping the axle. That is putting the axle on top of the leaf spring instead of underneath it. That will help with your height issue.<br /><br />In general, every inch you gain in height means another foot you have to back down into the water. You can lessen that effect by installing a longer tongue.

bubbakat

Captain

Change those 8 inch tires and wheels to 12 inch and you won't have any trouble in achieving your goal ( 75 speed) I did this with a 15 foot challenger bass boat and have yet to have any adverse affects. Its easier to back to :D <br /><br />warren in answer to your question<br />
My buddy said that I can reverse the U bolts but I have no idea what he's talking about....Anyone have any suggestions?????....Warren<br />
if you will look at the u bolts holding axel to spring they will have the axel either inside the springs or the out side. outside more height inside lower height. I know I am about to get blasted for this :p but I have did this with success to.<br /><br /> DJ beat me to it

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I flip the axle over to the inside of the leafs.....How do I get the alignment straight again? I don't want the trailer running crooked like a weiner dog on the freeway :D ......

D

DJ

Warren,<br /><br />You will have to some "eyeball" the alignment. <br /><br />However, if you drop a plumb bob from the center of the hitch coupler and measure back to each wheel hub, (then adjust) you can get amazingly close. You are basically making an imaginary triangle. As long as both side legs of the triangle are of equal length, you have the axle in line with the hitch.

bubbakat

Captain

There should be a bolt or dowel pin under the axel to align it just take it out and reverse it will go back into axel saddle hole and line right back up

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Piet, i'm not sure what i'm gonna do. What about you? I'm thinkin flip the axle to over the leaf and see what happens. The question is how much $$$ can I get back from selling my 4.8X8 to get the new tires and rims. Wish I would have saved my $$ and not purchased the Galvanized rims.....Warren