Carport/boatport

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone got any plans for a carport type of shelter?<br />Maybe someone has pictures?<br />Mine needs to be around 10'6" wide by about 24ft.<br />It would be nice to incorporate an engine hoist should the motor ever need removing.<br />I live within city limits and originally from the UK. and not familiar with building Regulations/limitations.<br />My neighbour is ok about me building one. <br />Friends at work tell me it would be a good idea to find out where the power lines and utilities are before sinking posts into the ground.<br />any help will be appreciated<br />thanks<br />Peter

tmac58star

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carport/boatport

Down here in Texas there are several firms that sell pre-made aluminum carports/covers, most for less than $1000 that look to be about 12X12. Two of those and you're in business. Probably couldn't build it for that price.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have built many, i would begin with a concrete pad for the boat to sit on. then using pressure treaded 4x4's for up rights, every 60" on center. then put a double 2x6 header, across the up rights, then 2x6 rafters across the header, cover with 1/2 inch ply wood, rolled roofing.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Down here in Texas there are several firms that sell pre-made aluminum carports/covers, most for less than $1000 that look to be about 12X12. Two of those and you're in business. Probably couldn't build it for that price.

That's the way I did mine except it is one piece. There are lots of companies that sell them and will even install them very reasonably once your slab is ready.

I paid $1600 for mine installed. The slab cost over twice that though!

However you won't be pulling any engines by using it for support! If you need that capability then you'll need to build one.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I keep my Capri under a 10x20' carport but it's more of a "temporary" one with a tarp...a bit lighter duty than what you're speaking of