carb fuel contin'd

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Folks-- thanks for your continuing help. I had a fuel leak when pumping the bulb on my lowest of 3 carbs--fuel jetting out of what was suggested to be the bowl vent. I rebuilt all 3 carbs with OMC kits-- replaced all gasket, needle valve, float and seat, core plugs, etc after cleaning and blowing air thru evrything, etc. Put carbs back on, pumped-- no leak-- then checked primer and fuel leak showed up again in carb #3. After that, just pumping bulb again caused fuel to pump out as before. Other carbs are fine.
I took off #3, checked evrything out to see if crap was blocking needle etc-- fuel leak still there. I switched the float and needle with carb #1 (to see if the problem was with the float or needle) and carb#3 still leaks.
I'm at a loss about where this is leaking from.
I did have a bit of trouble with one of the core plugs in this carb-- there is a slight imperfection in the seat for that plug, but it looks pretty tight. If i try to blow air thru the fuel line (by mouth) with the carb upside down and valve presumably closed-- no air goes thru, and it opens if i invert it so the needle falls up.

If i could afford to tear it out-- my hair would be history!

Thanks!

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: carb fuel contin'd

I think the major prob's solved for now-- I appreciate the quick reply Rick.
It was coming out the little hole in the carb frame above and between the two barrels (this is a E150STLCEM)-- after I posted this i thought i should recheck the valve seat to see if there was a problem with its threading or something. I noticed a tiny little piece of crap-- put my 3X fly tying glasses on this time-- that was in the needle valve seat against the wall. Blew it out, replaced everything, put the carb back and the fuel leak is gone.

A follow up question-- when i prime at the ignition, fuel does dibble out the barrels-- the boat is on a slanted driveway, so the engine is titlted a little foreward. Should there be any fuel running out of the carb barels in such a situation?

Thanks again-- I owe you a GOOD beer if youre ever in GA.