Can I get more power out of my 9.5?

gintaras

Cadet
I have a 1969 Johnson 9.5hp, model 95r69

It runs great, but I am all about getting the most out of what I have, and would like a little more power.. I have read that the 9.9's can be converted to 15hp, but is there anything that I can do to the 9.5 to get more power?

Also, on an unrelated note.. it runs great up top, but the idle is a little "lumpy".. it idles very smooth but every 20-30 seconds it has a mis, and then runs smooth again.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I get more power out of my 9.5?

lumpy problem is low speed needle adjustment, knob on the front of the motor.

sure you can get more, sell it, and buy bigger. that is the only way. break out the $$$$$.

Rick.

Captain

You can't milk any more power than it has as a 9.5. There is no upgrades available that I have ever heard of. You will do better with a 9.9 or even a 15. I'm not sure why the 9.5 is outmatched power wise by the 9.9 but IMO it is. ( I could get myself in forum trouble for saying that ) Your miss at idle is very likely a sneeze rather than a miss. Try moving your slow speed needle a wee bit richer and that should stop it if it is a sneeze. Try about 1/8 of a turn counter clockwise then wait a little and move it again until it goes away. Best of luck. Rick.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1969 Johnson 9.5hp, model 95r69

It runs great, but I am all about getting the most out of what I have, and would like a little more power.. I have read that the 9.9's can be converted to 15hp, but is there anything that I can do to the 9.5 to get more power?

Also, on an unrelated note.. it runs great up top, but the idle is a little "lumpy".. it idles very smooth but every 20-30 seconds it has a mis, and then runs smooth again.

Bottom line, buy a bigger outboard.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have several 9.5's and everyone is right, if the motor is running right, there is no way I know to get more power out of it. Somethings you could try are, a decarb with seafoam, lighten your load, add a hydrofoil like a doelfin or play around with the weight in your boat to balance it out better.

gintaras

Cadet

thanks for all the replies.. what exactly is a "decarb" just a good cleaning?

I did recently replace the float needle, and cleaned the upper chamber with carb cleaner. I like the way the motor runs up top, not bad at all for a 40 year old.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Dump the boat anchor! For about another 15 lbs you can get a nice fast 18hp!