Can a Ski Tow be used on a Bayliner?

Chris41

Recruit
I have a 1995 Bayliner. I want to put a ski tow on it to pull the kids tubeing & wakeboarding. I bought an Attwood flush mount ski tow # 66448-7. I have to drill a 2 1/8" hole in the boat to mount it, so I am having some anxiety. I'm not sure where to drill it on the transom. The instructions say towards the top. I am concerned the tow will pull/rip out or since the seam of the boat is about 3 inches away/below, it will hurt/flex out the seam from the pulling. Has anybody done this before or have some thoughts on the subject?

rndn

Commander
Re: Can a Ski Tow be used on a Bayliner?

If you do end up doing this make sure you install a large SS or aluminum backing plate to spread the strain over a larger area. Why don't you use a regular towing harness to attach to the 2 eye bolts on each corner of the transom that are already on your boat?

FusionFrank

Seaman Apprentice

Here you can see where my tow loop is installed on my '97 Bayliner - it is dead center above the lower unit in the white area. Mine is a different style and only required (2) 1/2" holes but it is not flush mounted. The back side of mine is reinforced with large metal washers. I have never had a flex or cracking problem.

IMG_0916 (Small).JPG

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is you boat outboard or I/O? makes a big difference.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

On my '85 Bayliner 19' Capri, I have a cleat in the middle of the top of the
transom where Fusion's tow hook is. It has some reinforcement on the inside.

We just started using that, instead of the lower hooks, and it makes a big
improvement. If the youngens want higher than that, they are welcome to
pay for it, but I don't see that taking place. Skiing and boarding is fun, but
paying for your toys is another issue with growing up.

If I was mounting the ski hook new at the same place, I'd reinforce it with a piece
of aluminum angle iron on the inside. It'd make me feel better, anyway.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

It depends on I/O or a outboard?? I had a 88 Bayliner capri with force 125 outboard and it struggled to tow my girlfriends kids on a towable with a full boat...now I Bought a boat with a merc 5.7 sterndrive no problem, Take care