Can’t get my engine cover off!!

hogluvr

Seaman
I’m new to outboards, want to go through this ‘78 Evinrude 35 hp. Is there a trick to moving this lever, it’s frozen?

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Doesn't look the the cover is on. It's above its seated position. I would guess the lever is jammed with the cover out of place. Wiggle the cover while moving the lever.

hogluvr

Seaman
Well I got it off. Cover looks unseated in the pic but it actually was in place. Kept moving the lever back and forth a little at a time, lever broke 🙄. Got the cover off, almost wish I hadn’t!

Attachments

• IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It may have been seated but the sealing gasket surely wasn't. THAT's why the mice got in. Bad gasket.

All fuel lines, electric wires, etc. surely are toast. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

reelfishin

Captain
I'd probably just clean all that nesting out of there and check the compression before pulling it off the boat. If its got good compression, a new leaver can usually be found on fleabay, there's a plastic bushing in there and usually a nut holding the catch on the inside. Soak it with penetrating oil, work it loose and remove it, clean up the corrosion in the hole and reassemble. Broken levers are pretty common. Most have a small oil hole above the bushing that lets you add a bit of oil every so often.
The 35hp motors are good motors, they're a good combo for a light boat.
My 35hp does better on my aluminum boat than a heavier 50hp did mainly because of it being so much lighter on the stern.