Buying new I/O

ironhorse

Cadet
Iam building new 20' lobster hull looking at putting a 4cy l3.0 or a 6cyl 4.3
anbody tell me pros and cons do i realy need fuel injected and wich outdrive is better?

any help would be great

Ironhorse

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying new I/O

I will not get into the which outdrive is better (its a bit like which is better, ford or chevrolet, everyone has their own opinion). But regarding the engine, bigger is always better, as boats don't have gear boxes, it really helps to have a bigger engine with more torque, it will make for a much more responsive boat. So given your question about a 3.0L or a 4.3L, go for the 4.3L or bigger!!

Gary

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

Again, I think its a matter of opinion. You will get better MPG with fuel injection than a carb, but if it goes wrong you can fix a carb, fuel injection requires a proper dealer with the correct tools to diagnose.
My 4.3L runs with a carb and I have never had any problems with it. Some carb engines do run on (diesel) if you turn them off quickly after a hard thrash, but if you let them idle for a minute then turn them off they stop fine, Fuel injection does prevent the run on, but it is good technique to let an engine idle after a hard run anyway..

In my opinion it doesn't matter which option you go for.. I like carbs as they are simpler to maintain and fix, but I will use more gas...

The choice is yours, but there is very little reason to have fuel injection over carbs, they both work fine..

Gary

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....... If you could define your Needs better,.......

Are you going Lobstering,..??....
How Heavy is it going to be,..??....
Saltwater, or Sweetwater,..??...
And,..... Of Course,..........

What's in the Budget,..??.............

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree,With a 20ft boat a 4.3 would be the smallest you would want.
If i was building it from the ground up a 5.7 would be my choice with fuel injection and a Volvo Duo prop drive.