Broken gear lube fitting

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I’m currently in the process of fixing a decent water leak through the humble transom plate on a 99 crownline 225 with the mercury 7.4L and the bravo 1 stern drive. My current issue is while removing the gimble I accidentally broke the nipple on the gear line fitting that passes through the hull. Does anyone have experience in replacing this and how to locate it inside the bilge? I’m finding it very hard to locate and worried it’s going to be a nightmare

alldodge

Staff member
It's going to be a pain. In most cases there is not much chance in getting it done other then removing the motor and drive bell housing

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Why oh why Mercruiser do you make these things out of plastic!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It can be done without removing the motor. Done more than a few. I drop the c-clip more than once, hard to find it if you do. Be careful! They make a brass fitting to replace the plastic one, get that! It's a real bear to get the job done. Poor planning from mercury! Good luck.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Good to hear they replaced the plastic.
The number of plastic fittings in the easy drain system including the manifold is concerning to me. Would not want that failure prone stuff on my engine.
I bet wedging yourself into position to do that job with the engine in place is a real treat. Even more fun than changing a steering actuator!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Good to hear they replaced the plastic.
The number of plastic fittings in the easy drain system including the manifold is concerning to me. Would not want that failure prone stuff on my engine.
I bet wedging yourself into position to do that job with the engine in place is a real treat. Even more fun than changing a steering actuator!
Yes, it’s a bear to lay in there and do the job. I’ve never removed the motor to do that particular job. Remember to not drop the e-ring!