Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II Dies at 96

WIMUSKY

Staff member
What amazes me is everything she's seen in 96 years.... All the changes, innovations and worldly events...

briangcc

Commander
I was just reading her quick bio on CNN.... part of the civilian forces during WWII driving/repairing supply trucks in England of all things. Never would have thought that.

Lost a heck of a leader and person today.

aspeck

Staff member
Heard early this morning that she was having a medical emergency. The way it sounded I expected this news earlier today. She was certainly a loved lady by her subjects and the world. Charles will certainly NOT have the same love and admiration that Queen Elizabeth II enjoyed.
1662663782862.png

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
She was a Good Queen, had no use, or respect for Margaret Thatcher, which greatly increased my Respect for her. Elizabeth, not Thatcher

bassman284

Commander
Well, sad to hear but she had a great run and was doing pretty well up until that last few weeks or so. I've had several relatives make it into their mid to late 90s and none of them did near as well as HMQ.
I don't know if I've ever posted this here but Elizabeth II's coronation was the SECOND thing I ever saw on television when I was a kid. Never forgot. god save the Queen.

FLATHEAD

Commander
I guess I just can’t comprehend the notion of a family being bestowed with privilege and wealth from the people based on birthright. Seems a bit archaic and and nonsensical to me, especially since they basically act in a ceremonial capacity. I know they do charitable work but that could be done without a “Royal Family”. To top it off the citizens pay taxes to these Royals. I mean who needs a king and a Queen in the year 2022 When you operate under a democratic government.

aspeck

Staff member
I guess I just can’t comprehend the notion of a family being bestowed with privilege and wealth from the people based on birthright. Seems a bit archaic and and nonsensical to me, especially since they basically act in a ceremonial capacity. I know they do charitable work but that could be done without a “Royal Family”. To top it off the citizens pay taxes to these Royals. I mean who needs a king and a Queen in the year 2022 When you operate under a democratic government.
Not completely democratic. It is the monarch who places the Prime Minister into power. They have the right to do that against the voter’s wishes, but they have not done that. All laws need to be signed by the monarch before it becomes law … they have veto power if they chose to use it. There are other legal powers the Monarch has and can wield if they do desire. The Queen has been a benevolent ruler of the people and as such has not asserted any of that power.

(At least this is what I am told by my friend from Scotland)

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
You are right...you cannot comprehend the monarchy...
The rest of your post is just your opinion.
Which you are allowed to have.

But nothing much will change in the monarchy at the end of the day...apart from whomever is the king at the time.

That is just my opinion.
Etc etc

bassman284

Commander
Seriously? You live in the US where a few million families are bestowed with privilege and wealth based on birthright. It's the American way.

dwco5051

Commander
  • John Adams and John Quincy Adams (father and son)
  • William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison (grandfather and grandson)
  • George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush (father and son)
  • Benjamin Harrison (the 23rd president) was the grandson of William Henry Harrison (the 9th president). James Madison (the 4th president) and Zachary Taylor (the 12th president) were second cousins. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (the 32nd president) was a fifth cousin of Theodore Roosevelt (the 26th president)
  • Not enough space here for the Kennedys or other members of the Senate and House and Governors.

FLATHEAD

Commander
  • John Adams and John Quincy Adams (father and son)
  • William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison (grandfather and grandson)
  • George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush (father and son)
  • Benjamin Harrison (the 23rd president) was the grandson of William Henry Harrison (the 9th president). James Madison (the 4th president) and Zachary Taylor (the 12th president) were second cousins. Franklin Delano Roosevelt (the 32nd president) was a fifth cousin of Theodore Roosevelt (the 26th president)
  • Not enough space here for the Kennedys or other members of the Senate and House and Governors.
No comparison,. Politics is off limits here so I’ll stop right there.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She was a nice lady. Can we raise our flags now? Or should we just leave 'em down a while longer since Charles is king?