Briggs and Straton 4 stroke

cbourbeau32

Seaman
Are the Briggs 4 stroke good engines? Anybody on here own or have owned one? I see a few showing up on CL and wondered how good they are.

Thanks, Charlie

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Briggs and Straton 4 stroke

Not recommended for saltwater, noisy(sounds like a lawn mower), might be O.K. For a small skiff or canoe on a small body of freshwater.....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Noisy,vibrate terribly.I think I would check carefully for parts Specific to the Briggs outboard power head and of course the Leg/lower unit.I know the early motors had trouble with the rev limiter.Also heard they were not recommended for extended trolling.
I think the Johnson/Evinrude and Gale 5, 5.5 and 6 hp from the 50s to the late 60s and 70s motors are a much better bet and many parts, new and used are still available from many vendors.

Last edited:

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine has been thru hell!!! It even fell off my boat while in tow to the lake, it broke off the brackets, because B/S didnt design a locking mechizim to stop it from bouncing up and down while going down the road, the latchit straps broke off and then so did the motor! I was heart broken when i got to the lake, with perfect fishin conditions and no motor on the transom just the bracket!! haha! funny now, not then! i found it 10miles back on the road! Yes, it's nosiy, but it uses hardly any gas! The slowest mine will go is 3.3/3.5mph! I've trolled probably 1000 to 2000 hrs and she still fires right up and will go and go! For 800 bucks brand new what more could I ask for!