Bow sitting high

Steehead

Cadet
20231111_122152.jpg
I just put my 1979 sun runner in the water. I noticed my bow was sitting high it has 305 mercury and alpha 1 leg. I was wondering if this normal for this boat. I have owned other boat's and they all sat pretty level Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

How the boat sit moored is dependent on Weight Distribution. Since No One here can examine your Boat, all we can do is offer some ideas/thoughts.
How many Batteries does it have? What other Ballast, such as Anchors, have you tossed in the Stern? Have you ever checked for Water in the Floatation?
Here's a biggie, How long have you owned this Boat? Has it always sat like this, or is it something recent?

Reactions: KJM

Steehead

Cadet
Welcome to iboats

How the boat sit moored is dependent on Weight Distribution. Since No One here can examine your Boat, all we can do is offer some ideas/thoughts.
How many Batteries does it have? What other Ballast, such as Anchors, have you tossed in the Stern? Have you ever checked for Water in the Floatation?
Here's a biggie, How long have you owned this Boat? Has it always sat like this, or is it something recent?
Just bought it no. Never check the floatation. Two batteries on on either side. Both gas tanks are full. Nothing in bow no anchor

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well I would think that is def. not the way she should sit! I would move some weight around, but would be most worried about water logged foam and rot in the back of that boat, as suggested by jimmbo.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
inboards have a lot of weight in the rear by nature, best is to move as much stuff forward as possible..
as posted ,check for water in the flotation.

? does the boat plane out ok.
? does it feel heavy to drive .

Steehead

Cadet
Welcome to iboats

Thanks for all your help 20231112_154008.jpg
Just bought it no. Never check the floatation. Two batteries on on either side. Both gas tanks are full. Nothing in bow no anchor

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All those batteries in the back are a good portion of the Weight Distribution Issue. Adding Ballast to level the boat is not the Answer, as it just adds weight, and slows you down and burns more fuel. Why 4 Batteries?

Steehead

Cadet
All those batteries in the back are a good portion of the Weight Distribution Issue. Adding Ballast to level the boat is not the Answer, as it just adds weight, and slows you down and burns more fuel. Why 4 Batteries?
There is only two batteries the boat came with one battery and I added 1 more for my down riggers. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
300# is a 120qt cooler filled with ice

Agreed on weighing the boat to see if you are holding a few hundred pounds of water

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It looks to be sitting very different in those 2 pictures; in the first it looks too low in the stern but in the second it looks more level….