Bow damage fix?

MotorMan101

Seaman
IMG_20230526_182148115.jpg

My boat has some bow damage and if I should just add some new fiberglass resin to it and a couple coats of fiberglass... Or is there something better I could use?

tpenfield

Staff member
Probably some glass mat in the keel area . . . sand it smooth . . . and then gelcoat in the larger area around the keel where there are deep scratches.

Looks like keel/bow damage from beaching. There are keel gaurds that you can buy to protect the hull, if you frequently beach the boat.

todhunter

Canoeist
I had similar damage. I mixed up some PB to fill the deep gouges, then rolled on a few coats of white gelcoat over that. If you are going to do a keel shield (recommended) you won't have to worry too much about the cosmetics, as the keel shield should cover most of that.

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Enjoy the journey and learn a new skill.

KJM

Lieutenant
I had similar damage. I mixed up some PB to fill the deep gouges, then rolled on a few coats of white gelcoat over that. If you are going to do a keel shield (recommended) you won't have to worry too much about the cosmetics, as the keel shield should cover most of that.
Yeah, I had similar damage on mine and used PB, sanded and gelcoat.

MotorMan101

Seaman
Kinda silly question but what is PB?...I like the keel guard idea although I have never beached it damage from previous owners...

MotorMan101

Seaman
I have a bow rider that has basically no access under the floors. I have only had it out three times about a hr each time and once for two hours. ..after each trip water is built up in the bilge about ten gallons at least over two hour trip...I can't find where the water is coming from...I do have some bow damage and am learning to fix in a different post...but my question is how do I confirm leak location...on my jon boat I filled boat with water...but on this that seams a bad idea ... 

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_182124360.jpg
    IMG_20230526_182124360.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a bow rider that has basically no access under the floors. I have only had it out three times about a hr each time and once for two hours. ..after each trip water is built up in the bilge about ten gallons at least over two hour trip...I can't find where the water is coming from...I do have some bow damage and am learning to fix in a different post...but my question is how do I confirm leak location...on my jon boat I filled boat with water...but on this that seams a bad idea ... 
I’m going to assume the water is coming in through the holes in your boat…..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have holes showing in this picture where the boat was beached

Fix the damaged keel

Never fill a boat with water

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Ten gallons of water over two hours is a LOT of water getting into the boat. To me, that suggests that either you're getting intrusion from other places or the damage to the keel is even worse than it looks in in the pictures. If you're getting that amount of water inside the boat, I'd also be very concerned about stuff that you don't want to get and remain wet, like flotation foam, stringers and transom.

Is this an I/O? An outboard? I'd be checking to see you have water intrusion from other sources. The keel has to be repaired, but I'd be looking for other sources of water intrusion, too.

Reactions: KJM