Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fellow that I know bought a 1937 Pontiac coupe in 1972.----Paid $150 for it.------Worked in TV rental shop ( remember those ) at the time.----He got lots of chuckles when he brought it home and into the car club.------He found a 64 chevy and took everything off it.---He asked questions and dug in.----Fixed it !!----Last I talked to him he still has it.-----Painted it 4 times.---Had the engine ( 283 chevy ) out 3 times.----Was offered $35,000 for it.-----He said ----" I have had it longer than the wife and kids , so it is not for sale.------So it can be done !!

tpenfield

Staff member
24 pieces sounds about right. And as far as upholstery goes..... my dad used to own his own upholstery business and taught me a thing or 2.....I will most likely be utilizing his help down the line if I can't fix it myself. I've done a couple reupholstery jobs myself already and they turned out decent. This will be my largest yet but I'm looking forward to it.
You should be all set then to D-I-Y the upholstery. There are a few of us on the forum who do boat upholstery work, so advice would be there if you need it.

My only advice would be to spend a little more than you could and get decent marine vinyl and use PTFE thread. (Tenara or Solarfix). Hopefully, the foam is in decent shape, as replacing the foam can add up $$$

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fellow that I know bought a 1937 Pontiac coupe in 1972.----Paid $150 for it.------Worked in TV rental shop ( remember those ) at the time.----He got lots of chuckles when he brought it home and into the car club.------He found a 64 chevy and took everything off it.---He asked questions and dug in.----Fixed it !!----Last I talked to him he still has it.-----Painted it 4 times.---Had the engine ( 283 chevy ) out 3 times.----Was offered $35,000 for it.-----He said ----" I have had it longer than the wife and kids , so it is not for sale.------So it can be done !!
❤️❤️❤️love the inspirational story!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
You should be all set then to D-I-Y the upholstery. There are a few of us on the forum who do boat upholstery work, so advice would be there if you need it.

My only advice would be to spend a little more than you could and get decent marine vinyl and use PTFE thread. (Tenara or Solarfix). Hopefully, the foam is in decent shape, as replacing the foam can add up $$$
I am not certain yet. I won't be checking on that for a while. The wood underneath some of it is rotten. Not sure what that means for the foam though. The pieces are inside my garage now so they'll be safe and not collect any more moisture. I will look into proper seat coverings when the rest of the boat is complete.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
🤣🤣🤣 this comment made me laugh! You are correct... zero knowledge.... so if it helps to understand me a little better... here's a little insight into my back story.... simply put....I am high functioning on the autism spectrum. That comes with impulsive thoughts. And impulsive spending habits. I work a job that pays well so that enables me to have a little extra money when it comes to fun money needed. I have always enjoyed working with my hands.... fixing things also also have an ocd like mentality when it comes to starting large projects.... they have to get done or i won't stop thinking about them.....

there are a couple mottos that I've applied to my life that are very relevant here as well...

1. If at first you don't succeed...try... try again.
2. You may see me struggle.... but you'll never see me quit.

Put that all together.... and you've got a wacky individual who will spend any expense to see a project through.

So no knowledge... but I'm willing and eager to learn in the process. I will face whatever obstacles I come across and do everything in my power to see this through. As long as I can continue to get support and answers to my many questions....I will continue to work on this. I have no choice... boat is in my name and I've already spent about 1500 so far lol. I'm committed now!
Well that's my son to a Capital T. Best of luck and with those issues you will drive us crazy!. Also it is very cool to see you get thru this project. I'm rooting for you 100%.
You Da Man!
Kevin

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well that's my son to a Capital T. Best of luck and with those issues you will drive us crazy!. Also it is very cool to see you get thru this project. I'm rooting for you 100%.
You Da Man!
Kevin
Well I hope I don't drive you all too crazy but thank you for the support!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just dropping in real quick. I made some decent headway this past weekend. No pics for now as I am at work and pics aren't coming through my emails for some reason. I got all the carpeting ripped out. I tried finding anything else that I could do in the meantime, but then I realized that I was just procrastinating on doing the scary part......Cutting through the deck. So...I got my skill saw and Sawzall out and bit the bullet and went at it. The underside of the deck seemed pretty decent, and I am not 100% certain on the stringers yet. The make shift bulkheads that were in the ski locker were made out of newer wood, but as I removed more of the floor, I found that these bulkheads were put in place over old ones that had rotted out.....And this is why the stringers are questionable. Visibly, they look ok I believe, however, the original bulkheads that were put in when these stringers were, appeared to have been glassed into the stringers on the edges only....So these bulkheads eventually rotted away, and the edges of them that seem to be touching the only bare sides of the stringers....caused the rot to transfer into the stringers. I am curious if after testing the stringers, if they are still decent enough, if it is at all possible to just remove the rotted portion instead of the entire thing? I don't know if that would compromise the structural integrity of the boat at all or if after being glassed in again, if it would be like one solid piece. I uncovered the fuel tank which was also glassed in on the edges, so that will be fun to get out. The foam is 100% waterlogged in certain areas and fine in others. Cutting out one of the seat bases was an absolute pain, but once it was out, a huge chunk of foam came out with it. I did see that whoever put the foam in laid down a layer of clear tarp on the bottom of the hull prior to installing the foam. Not sure why, it if it was even a benefit to have it there. To me, it seems that all it would do is hold moisture. What is plastic tarp's function? Do I rip it out and lay down new prior to new foam, or get rid of it completely? I am hoping though that with the layer of plastic tarp under there, that the foam is easier to come out.

I have yet to remove the little storage compartments in the bow and stern. I am afraid that I am going to mess something up if I do....But I know that is probably just me over thinking.....And I know I need to remove them to have a look at the stringers as well. If I take my time cutting them out and saving them as a template, I know I should be good.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Racer is right. Most I've seen online are no warranties and no returns. Stay local.
And then after you pay your money, you will get just a picture in the package !! FBI says scams are at an all time high as more people fall for them every day !!

tpenfield

Staff member
I think that you are on the track for a complete 'cut & gut', because if you do more of a partial approach, you may have to do it over in a few years.

Chris51280

Ensign
many tried to do a partial fix. at the end, it is a total rebuild. have you looked at the stickies on rebuilds? take pictures and measurements. leave the outer lip for deck height reference so you know how high you need to build the stringers. careful with the saw to not cut through the hull.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
And then after you pay your money, you will get just a picture in the package !! FBI says scams are at an all time high as more people fall for them every day !!
I am looking at staying local if I can't find someone willing to fix the engine I do have.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think that you are on the track for a complete 'cut & gut', because if you do more of a partial approach, you may have to do it over in a few years.
I am anticipating that....However, I am not opposed to this project taking that long either. I work 1216 hour shifts and can only focus on this boat on my days off if my kids allow it LOL.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
many tried to do a partial fix. at the end, it is a total rebuild. have you looked at the stickies on rebuilds? take pictures and measurements. leave the outer lip for deck height reference so you know how high you need to build the stringers. careful with the saw to not cut through the hull.
Stickies???? What's that? Definitely taking pictures and measuring what I can. Leaving the lip is a good idea! So do you say to leave it until new stringers are in and then cut the lip out and grind down?

And yes, I am being as careful as I can. I am terrified of cutting through the hull!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
When it comes time to start grinding/sanding......Are we talking about an actual grinder? I do have a Ryobi Grinder, but wouldn't that be too rough on the fiberglass? I also feel that a drill with a sanding disc attached will take forever to sand down, but will leave a nice flush surface. What do you guys use?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a sticky is at the top of each forum section, they are 'stuck' to the top so they don't get lost.

Chris51280

Ensign
Stickies???? What's that? Definitely taking pictures and measuring what I can. Leaving the lip is a good idea! So do you say to leave it until new stringers are in and then cut the lip out and grind down?

And yes, I am being as careful as I can. I am terrified of cutting through the hull!
Like scott danforth said earlier.
here are some links for light reading. start with 14, 15, 18, 19, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b
Found here https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/
4.5" angle grinder with 40grit sanding discs. I think I went through 50 or so. You will get the hang of it. just be careful, It takes off skin real fast. Use cheap to medium grinders. I went though 3 because the motor burned up. Watch friscoboater on youtube. great guy with very detailed info on the whole process. was fun watching. He also posted here back then.