Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
IDK..? I just always like it clear, that tells me I'm good. Sometimes you get a bad pc. of glass. I explain it off that the "Cat pissed on it."
Always work the top down.

tpenfield

Staff member
The woven roving looks fairly dry. When you are using fiberglass cloth (WR or Biaxial) you want the resin to really soak in. Thickened resin makes it more difficult to do so.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
The woven roving looks fairly dry. When you are using fiberglass cloth (WR or Biaxial) you want the resin to really soak in. Thickened resin makes it more difficult to do so.
Would you say it is still ok as is, and do better with the next layer or do I need to get rid of it?

tpenfield

Staff member
Would you say it is still ok as is, and do better with the next layer or do I need to get rid of it?
If it is solid and has no voids, I would just make good on the next layer.

In terms of wetting out fiberglass, this is what you are looking for (clear). Below is some biaxial cloth, bonding the top of a stringer to the underside of a deck. You can see right through the cloth.
IMG_4128.jpg

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
If itā€™s your first layer Iā€™d probably start over. You need a good bond to the boats original polyester. Hope that makes sense It really should be saturated and clear when doing layers. Just like the picture that tpen posted.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
That said if you start chipping away at that layer and it seems to have a good bond you may be okay.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well... those are the answers you don't want to hear. Ahhh you already knew it though or ya wouldn't have asked. And good for you, we've all been there.
1719671954927.png

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tell ya what......Rent just got jacked up 200.00. That's an increase of 400.00 in 3 years. Having extra money to spend on this boat just got even more difficult.šŸ˜­šŸ¤¬

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's always been funny
It's a tough world out there in the job market. I can not speak for everyone else, but fortunately for me....my job pays well, so after budgeting all my bills, I still have a chunk of "fun money" to do whatever I wish without it impacting my financial obligations. Some of that fun money now needs to go towards rent.

Time to find a house soon....I would rather pay that much to own. I might eventually have to focus on that and take my mind off the boat for a while. šŸ˜­

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
As with me LIFE gets in the way as well as many others.
The great part is the boat is there always waiting for you. Cover and protect it if it ends up sitting for awhile.
I can see you are too determined not to finish off this ole gal. :}

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
As with me LIFE gets in the way as well as many others.
The great part is the boat is there always waiting for you. Cover and protect it if it ends up sitting for awhile.
I can see you are too determined not to finish off this ole gal. :}
Nah......She's not going anywhere...Might take a while.....but you are spot on!!! She WILL hit the water one day!!!

aspeck

Staff member
Dang, an increase of $400 in 3 yearsā€¦ most of my rentals are barely more than $400 a month and havenā€™t gone up in YEARS!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
If your boating money doesn't interfere with your living money, you are doing it correctly.
I gotta thank my better half for that!!!! I am a late bloomer, but was taught about 2 years ago how to budget in a manner that really works well for me and I have been able to save up a good chunk of money since, on top of having fun money to play with as well!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dang, an increase of $400 in 3 yearsā€¦ most of my rentals are barely more than $400 a month and havenā€™t gone up in YEARS!
Can I rent from you????šŸ¤£ Landlord is claiming that he's only doing it to match the rental prices within the surrounding neighborhood. I think it's BS....It's a choice to raise the rent.....Not a legal obligation. But this is also the same guy who told me 3 years ago that he was charging me less for rent than what he was paying for the mortgage.....So I'm not too sure what to think, aside from the fact that if I am paying 1400.00, I would rather own the house.

Anywho.....we're going off on a separate tangent here.....Back to the boat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

Morning Trip,
I was leery at first also. Got a boat load of stuff from them at great prices and quality. 5-7 days delivery, tracking, no join fees, and I use paypal.
Actually 1 order got messed up and they returned my funds and rushed a delivery that came in a amazon box lol.
At work I have about 15 different tradesman buying from them everyday. Always compare pricing. :]