Bought my first boat to cut, gut and rebuild from bow to stern, including engine. Killed my back and suffered the wrath of the fiberglass demons

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
. when removing the tank...I found that there were 3 wires connected to the tank. Any clue what they were doing there or what the were once connected to?
pink wire from sender goes to tank gauge
black wire from sender goes to ground buss
green wire with yellow stripe goes to bonding terminal (will the the garboard drain plug or other common earthing ground location

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
pink wire from sender goes to tank gauge
black wire from sender goes to ground buss
green wire with yellow stripe goes to bonding terminal (will the the garboard drain plug or other common earthing ground location
Have found several units over the years (mine included) where pink is ground and black goes to sending unit

PROPER WIRING INSTALLATION:
- Connect ground (pink) wire from the KUS sending unit to a common grounding hook-up.
- Connect (black) wire from the KUS sending unit to gauge hook-up.

If your gauge has color coded hook-ups, maintain this coding as you connect the sender and ground wires

Scott Danforth

Staff member
resistor will work both ways, however from the ABYC training, gauge terminal connects to sender terminal via pink wire.

1709830565355.png

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
resistor will work both ways, however from the ABYC training, gauge terminal connects to sender terminal via pink wire.

View attachment 395205
Don't disagree, but the ABYC "Standard" are recommendations at best. Builders are free to utilize their own color scheme if they choose to do so.

Just making the point to never assume, always confirm.

Industry standard color codes are at most suggestions...
Case in Point....Picture1.png

Chris51280

Ensign
i used to mix old fuel into the fuel on my pressure washer , let me tell you guys , its not a great idea.
halfway through an important job the motor just stopped.
after diagnosing to be a busted rocker arm , i decided to strip the motor , it was so gummed up in the top end that the rocker arm was not strong enough to carry the load of the valve.
so not a good idea to mix up that old fuel with new fuel just to get rid of it.

give it back to the earth where it come from.
that gummed up rocker arm is more likely to bad oil. how does old gas harm a rocker arm that is supposed to be lubricated with engine oil? You do not put old gas into the ground. I do not know where you live but I certainly do not want my well water tainted with fuel.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
that gummed up rocker arm is more likely to bad oil. how does old gas harm a rocker arm that is supposed to be lubricated with engine oil? You do not put old gas into the ground. I do not know where you live but I certainly do not want my well water tainted with fuel.
it indirectly broke the rocker arm after the head of the valves had so much build up of carbon it could no longer close all the way , valve got stuck in the guide , rocker snapped as it did not have the strength to push it open .

no need for people to get their panties in a knot about a little oil/petrol going into the ground water.

industry in general puts billions times more toxic crud into your ground water , everyday.

you think that wind generator up the road is clean to keep running , they use thousands of liters of ""glycol "" and who knows what other toxic chemical's " world wide wash down those things to keep them efficient /working , it all just runs off and goes onto the land below and people don't say a word.

now lets not get into the amount of petrol chemicals it takes to make all those solar panel people are so hypocritical about how clean they are.
hell , for that matter , every time we do deconstruction of our boats we put toxins on to the ground and into the environment , ? where do you guys think the all that epoxy and polyester resins you think so much of comes from.,
where do you think all that toxic stuff we cut out goes to.

how do you guys think those satellites that we so proudly use each day to communicate get up into space , ?? where do you guys think all that rocket fuel lands after it has been so inefficiently burned to get those things there..

any way all that is all for another thread , I'm just making a point and hoping to make at least one person aware of what is really going on

my apologies Op for getting slightly off track here , but it just gets my back up when people get so concerned about dumping a little fuel on the ground such as you have to get rid of ""and yet "" they are only to happy to help industry wreck our planet.
people need get their head out of their own asss and look at the big picture as to what is destroying our planets environment before they have a whine about a little petrol being dumped or burned to dispose of.

like i posted , ""i am not a tree hugger type"" , however that being said , i am well aware our planet is being damaged by people that really do not care less as long as they are happy

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
On the subject of old gas....got a burn pile? Can start a fire and dispose of it that way. I've been known to use expired signal flares to do the same to save from stockpiling them in my basement.

Plenty of ways to get rid of it - from proper disposal to starting bonfires.

**Passes a bag of marshmallows. Just don't expect me to break out in a rousing rendition of Kum By Yah...you really don't want to hear this guy sing :)

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
some of the guys on a jet ski forum used their old fuel from their skis to make leaf bombs,
the leaves should be falling for you guys soon .
rake them up to a pile , tip the old fuel on , let it sit for a bit to soak in , shoot it with a cross bow arrow with a burning tip,
the neighbors will enjoy the excitement of all the authorities coming out using all that fuel you have to get rid of (y) .
don't forget to do a you tube vid and post the link

for more hints to dispose of the old fuel or that diesel oil you got out of your truck , just ask..

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the subject of old gas....got a burn pile? Can start a fire and dispose of it that way. I've been known to use expired signal flares to do the same to save from stockpiling them in my basement.

Plenty of ways to get rid of it - from proper disposal to starting bonfires.

**Passes a bag of marshmallows. Just don't expect me to break out in a rousing rendition of Kum By Yah...you really don't want to hear this guy sing :)
😂😂
I actually have a rather large burn pile thanks to this boat! LOL I have a bunch of pieces cut out that will not be getting used as templates because I want to upgrade them. Other pieces will be used as templates, but then I will be done with them.....Either way......I bet about 95% or more of what I ripped out of this boat is going to ultimately become a part of a large bonfire eventually.......So there we go!!!! I can use it as a fire starter! Thanks for the idea!!!

On a side note, do I need to clean the fuel tank out at all? I don't know if a bunch of sludge would have built up inside with it sitting all this time. Don't know if said sludge would be bad for the engine if it ever dislodged and made it's way into the motor.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
some of the guys on a jet ski forum used their old fuel from their skis to make leaf bombs,
the leaves should be falling for you guys soon .
rake them up to a pile , tip the old fuel on , let it sit for a bit to soak in , shoot it with a cross bow arrow with a burning tip,
the neighbors will enjoy the excitement of all the authorities coming out using all that fuel you have to get rid of (y) .
don't forget to do a you tube vid and post the link

for more hints to dispose of the old fuel or that diesel oil you got out of your truck , just ask..
LOL.....The leaves are already down...It's February. They have been down since October. Don't think burning a pile of leaves in the back yard of a rental house in the middle of the city would be a good idea. 😂

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Strap the tank in the back of your truck. Pull the sender and make a block-off plate

Fill it with some acetone

Drive down a pothole filled road for 10 miles

Drain and add to the bonfire starter

Fill it with dawn dish soap and hot water

Drive down a pothole filled road for 10 miles

Drain it and let dry

This time of year in Green Bay there are plenty of potholes

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Add a chain in the tank to break up and move things.
After that you need to do a 3LB pressure test to see if the tank is good.
Here is some good reading.

"According to the USCG regs - you need to go above 3 psig above atmospheric to comply with their requirements. But, having said that, a fuel tank is not a pressure vessel - and therefore need not adhere to pressure vessel requirements - 10% of the rated pressure - as I recall. The 3+ psig sounds reasonable."

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL.....The leaves are already down...It's February. They have been down since October. Don't think burning a pile of leaves in the back yard of a rental house in the middle of the city would be a good idea. 😂
ha ha , we don't get leaves here where i am .so ignore the leaf bomb unless you want to save it for a later date
ahh , yea , not the best of things to do ""leaf bomb in a city house"" , hence the entertain the neighbors post.
don't breath that shyt while its burning , it will not do your lungs any good if you do..
and be extra carful not to hurt the neighbors ground water with the fall out:eek:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Don't disagree, but the ABYC "Standard" are recommendations at best. Builders are free to utilize their own color scheme if they choose to do so.

Just making the point to never assume, always confirm.

Industry standard color codes are at most suggestions...
Case in Point....View attachment 395208
Just a quick point is that you posted an engine manufacture wiring color code chart. ABYC does not apply to the actual engines, the manufacturer of the engine is free to use whatever colors they want. ABYC applies to the wiring of the boat hull itself, separate from the engine wiring.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
ABYC applies to the wiring of the boat hull itself, separate from the engine wiring.
Understand…just making the point that ABYC wire colors are only recommendations as well. They are not cast in stone nor should be treated as such.

#1 rule in electronics….don't assume anything

Had a guy smoke a $20k circuit board last week because he believed the drawing over what he saw with his own eyes.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you don't follow the SAE or ABYC wiring colors as an OEM or professional, you should be drawn and quartered.

Every boat or car I have worked on in the past 25 years has followed the standards

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know where I can find an engine hoist? I got a used motor that I can not lift. I will be getting an engine stand soon and need a means of lifting the engine onto it it.