Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
its not just those of us of a "certain age"... I am of "uncertain age" (47), and have a list at least that long.... I pick off a few items here and there....

clean yard
Drain boat cover that collapsed in last storm (did this morning....)
install new boat covers (will wait til residual moisture dries up...)
finish fixing "new boat" (couple more weeks on this, still waiting for parts)
break up cardboard boxes
laundry.... laundry.... laundry....
dishes... dishes... dishes...

and still I find time to waste here, with y'all, BS'ing about boats....

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
calm down :) we just digging to get the Op back to see what progress he has made .
this bloke aint going to give up that easy , he is in for the long haul is what i can see reading his posts .
poor suckers :) thats funny.
Yup.... not giving up...... just busy. I'll be back on here with updates soon hopefully

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. Here you go. I wish some of you all knew my character. It's a little upsetting that it is assumed that i would give in this easily. Yes this project sucks.... yes it's an absolute bit@h. Yes I hurt and yes it's absolutely itchy. ..... but no matter how stubborn this boat is..... I'm way worse 😅. You may see me struggle... but you'll never see me quit. Quitting isn't in my nature and isn't an option. I've never given up before and i don't intend in it now. I'm seeing this through one way or another... and i plan to bring you all with me.

I know it's been a while.. but lately...the house has been neglected with all the focus on the boat.. work and my kids... so I have had to focus more on housework.... which is why I've been absent.... but I got back at it today. Seat bases in the stern are gone. The flooring on one side under the bases is ripped up and the foam is all out. Foam was severely waterlogged again And floorboards rotted . I found a hole in the bottom of the hull. Not sure if it was me or if it was another hole from the last owner.... but after all this....I think she's got at least 4 punctures so far That I know of. I think once everything is out...I am going to patch up what I see first. Then put new stringers in and then.... take her out for a float test just to see if there are any other holes that need to be patched. I can't help but feel that this should be done as soon as possible before rebuilding anything else. Thoughts???

Also... after much thinking...I think instead of replacing the bow bench seats.... I'm going to put in a casting deck (I think that's what it's called) as well as a possible removable folding pedestal seat. Thinking on building a potential futon into the back in front of the motor. this all will allow me more storage space as well as an elevated platform if I choose to go fishing... along with a nice big bench seat if I want to lay down and chill. It will also allow me to add the same amount of foam that o removed if not more. Thoughts on that as well?

I got a lead on a used motor. Going to go check it out Thursday. Stay tuned. If you don't see me on here..... I'm just busy with life.

Arnold said it best... I'll be back!
Take care!

Attachments

• 20240303_163528.jpg
    20240303_163528.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240303_163538.jpg
    20240303_163538.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240303_163541.jpg
    20240303_163541.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240303_163546.jpg
    20240303_163546.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240303_163617.jpg
    20240303_163617.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240303_163619.jpg
    20240303_163619.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240303_163623.jpg
    20240303_163623.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just keep plugging away at it.... it will be done sooner than you think....So far, Ive done three of these basket cases.... I think I have a mental illness, or some weird affinity to fiberglass resin and dust.....

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just keep plugging away at it.... it will be done sooner than you think....So far, Ive done three of these basket cases.... I think I have a mental illness, or some weird affinity to fiberglass resin and dust.....
Hoping so. With these very mild February winter days that feel like it's spring... I'm using every day I can to get this finished before summer hits. I'm hoping it can get out on the water still this year yet.

briangcc

Commander
Me...I'd keep the bow seating but make a filler section that could hold a pedestal seat when needed. Secure it in some way/shape/form - perhaps pins or latches? While mine is a Fish & Ski model, I have yet to convert it to fishing mode. That's since I bought it new.

For the rear, I'd try to keep things light as possible as motor is currently an unknown. You may want the extra weight capacity for the motor so it doesn't sit too low in the stern. Food for thought as weight balance can get tricky.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Me...I'd keep the bow seating but make a filler section that could hold a pedestal seat when needed. Secure it in some way/shape/form - perhaps pins or latches? While mine is a Fish & Ski model, I have yet to convert it to fishing mode. That's since I bought it new.

For the rear, I'd try to keep things light as possible as motor is currently an unknown. You may want the extra weight capacity for the motor so it doesn't sit too low in the stern. Food for thought as weight balance can get tricky.
Good idea. I do want to do something different back there though, as I would also like to have a place to put and utilize a porta potty. Was thinking on putting one back where the seat bases were removed from, or somehow placing one in the bow, and having the ability to fold the casting deck up to create a small sitting area. With small kids, an on board potty is a must. I can figure out a collapsible privacy wall/curtain area later once I can figure out where I want to put the potty.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good idea. I do want to do something different back there though, as I would also like to have a place to put and utilize a porta potty. Was thinking on putting one back where the seat bases were removed from, or somehow placing one in the bow, and having the ability to fold the casting deck up to create a small sitting area. With small kids, an on board potty is a must. I can figure out a collapsible privacy wall/curtain area later once I can figure out where I want to put the potty.
funny thing about our grand kids and no toilet age 5 , 8 and 10 at the time.
we were out cruising the river and a few hours in , the 10 year old girl said can we stop at the toilet >> ummmmm there is no toilet the missus said , so the 8 year old clever little cow she is , holds up a towel and says wrap this around you and stand on the back of the boat (on swim platform) girls being girls that was never going to happen ,but the lead up to not happening well !, imagine a 8 year old and a 5 year old trying to balance a 10 year old and keep a towel in place while she was trying to privately have a pee standing / squatting on a swim platform in the middle of a river. and not fall in , mind you they had been swimming on and off all day in the river .

i thought the missus was going to wet herself at that suggestion and what come afterward (one of those things you had to have been there at the time .

any way , i let the cat out of the bag and told them how we do it when we need to go .
get a bucket and keep it aboard , when they need to go its just a matter of squatting on the bucket with a towel wrapped around or a skirt , make sure other people understand that privacy is required when you need to go and they just look the other way .
we are all used to the toilet thing now , so it just comes natural that when someone grabs the bucket and heads to the front of the boat they are going for a pee so we just look the other way.

Last edited:

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
funny thing about our grand kids and no toilet age 5 , 8 and 10 at the time.
we were out cruising the river and a few hours in , the 10 year old girl said can we stop at the toilet >> ummmmm there is no toilet the missus said , so the 8 year old clever little cow she is , holds up a towel and says wrap this around you and stand on the back of the boat (on swim platform) girls being girls that was never going to happen ,but the lead up to not happening well !, imagine a 8 year old and a 5 year old trying to balance a 10 year old and keep a towel in place while she was trying to privately have a pee standing / squatting on a swim platform in the middle of a river. and not fall in , mind you they had been swimming on and off all day in the river .

i thought the missus was going to wet herself at that suggestion and what come afterward (one of those things you had to have been there at the time .

any way , i let the cat out of the bag and told them how we do it when we need to go .
get a bucket and keep it aboard , when they need to go its just a matter of squatting on the bucket with a towel wrapped around or a skirt , make sure other people understand that privacy is required when you need to go and they just look the other way .
we are all used to the toilet thing now , so it just comes natural that when someone grabs the bucket and heads to the front of the boat they are going for a pee so we just look the other way.
That's a funny little story! Can't wait until I can tell some of my own! LOL

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That's a funny little story! Can't wait until I can tell some of my own! LOL
yea , coming from a cuddy cab that they grew up boating with as toddlers the open deck of the bow rider was defiantly a huge transition to them.

your kids will also love the boating life. lots of laughs and fun ,

briangcc

Commander
Peeing off the back of a boat isn't an option? Then again I have boys :)

My cousin kept a bucket on his fishing boat for his two girls to use when they needed a potty break.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
yea , coming from a cuddy cab that they grew up boating with as toddlers the open deck of the bow rider was defiantly a huge transition to them.

your kids will also love the boating life. lots of laughs and fun ,
I sure hope so. I desperately want to get my tablet babies out of the house. I was so disappointed in the direction that kids are headed nowadays, when my 13 year old told me yesterday, that they were bored and had nothing to do. I told them to go outside and enjoy the day. They asked how to do that. I said to use their imagination. Once again, I was asked how to do that. I had to explain how to go outside, find a stick and have fun with it. I was looked at like I was crazy! It's really sad. I am really hoping that this will give my kids a new found appreciation of the outdoors.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Peeing off the back of a boat isn't an option? Then again I have boys :)

My cousin kept a bucket on his fishing boat for his two girls to use when they needed a potty break.
It's an option for me and my son....but the rest of the family is females with tiny bladders. I need bare minimum a bucket.