Boat suddenly dies on water

Gangly

Seaman
Going across the water at about 75 percent throttle, I hit a decent wave and the engine shuts off instantly. I still have power to the dash but the engine shut off. I turn the key and it starts up instantly and I go about my business thinking maybe it was a fluke or something. ABout 30 minutes later the same thing happens when I hit a wave at about 50 percent throttle but the engine quickly catches and the motor doesnt die. This happened two more times while I was out on the water and the engine didnt die, put it lost all power for a split second.

Im guessing its a bad ground wire so I'll have to check all of the connections, but has this ever happened to anybody else and if so, what was the bad connection?

Is it possible the coil or something is acting up?

Just curious and wanted to know everybodies thoughts.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Boat suddenly dies on water

sounds like a bad connection, but no reason to assume it's on the ground side of any particular circuit more than the + side.
Hopefully a visual inspection and feeling around the wiring will reveal something obvious. The terminals on the coil are a good place to check first just because they're easy to reach, but there's not one connection more likely than any other.

Make sure the ignition cylinder and key feel smooth as you turn it and check any safety lanyard switch you might have.

Gangly

Seaman

thanks for the heads up. Ill be checking everything shortly but will start witht he coil since its easiest. thanks again, I appreciate it.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or the main harness connector from the engine to the boat harness.