Boat Launching Problem

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice
i have a bow mount trolling motor on my boat.<br />when i back the boat down the ramp to unload the boat on the water, my trolling motor mount (the breakaway piece) hits the front roller where the winch sits below. Problem is that after a couple times, it has now bent my trolling motor bracket that is mounted on the blow. Either i backing the boat trailer too deep or too shallow.<br />any advise?<br /><br />thx

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat Launching Problem

Can you post a pic of the boat on the trailer showing a shot of the bow and winch?<br /><br />Sometimes this is a problem with steep ramps. There may be a way to modify the set up.

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar problem. It would catch on the front ot the boat if ramp was to steep. My trolling motor was completly in the boat when retracted so no problem there. Any way to mount motor so it is all in the boat?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have a shop, make you a longer bow stop, and mount in a little lower. if it is below your bow eye you will have to rig a bow tied down also.

rwidman

Lieutenant

You should be able to decide the best way to fix this, you are looking at the problem first hand. I would consider moving the trolling motor but you may be able to cut whatever it is hitting and solve the problem.

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all for your replies. I am going to get a picture of the front site and show you all.<br />Odd thing is on this boat when i first bought it, the previous owner had not bend the trolling motor bracket. The bracket does not protrude outside of the boat. The breakway flimbsy piece does and when lauching the boat, this breakaway touches the top of the roller above the winch and lifts the bracket and therefore bends. This was a trick that he had when it lauched it as i am lauching the boat too deep or too shallow. Give me a couple days and i will have a picture up and show you.<br /><br />thanks again.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking that your backing in too far, but a picture would be worth a thousound words.

gonefishie

Commander

I have seen guys do this all the time at steep ramp, the trick to keep it from hitting the roller is to back in slowly. On a steep ramp you gotta let the back float up and gently slide off the trailer, otherwise the front would bump the roller 10 out of 10 times.