Boat has been sitting

ironman022

Cadet
i have just bought a 1988 seaswirl with a 120hp evinrude. I has been sitting for over a year. How do i drain the remander of the fuel with the built in tank? what else should i do? Should i just pay the money and get it drained and tuned up before i take it crabing.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat has been sitting

I have had drained internal tanks before. Start by physically removing the connector that plugs into the engine. By that I mean to actually take out the plastic connector that connects to the hose so that you only have a hose end. Then lower the hose so that it is below the level of the fuel tank. Then start squeezing the bulb. Eventually a siphon action will develop and the entire tank will drain. It is easier if you make sure the nose of the boat is very high so that all the fuel is in the back of the tank. I do this every year on my Lund before I put it up for winter.

It never hurts to pay someone to drain the tank and tune up the motor. But this forum is about doing it yourself when you can. You are right to drain the old fuel out if it has been sitting for over a year, especially if the fuel was not treated with some type of stabilizer There are other things consider if this is a new to you boat. Checking the water pump is high on the list.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I would just dump some dry gas and a can of seafoam in the tank and see what happens.
It is not going to do any damage.
If it runs,just top it of with some high octane gas so you can bring the overall octane up a bit higher.

jonesg

Admiral

Draw some fuel out and leave it in a glass for 10 minutes, if theres a lot of water seperation get rid of it and install a water seperator, I use startron additive to prevent this.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Save yourself a bunch of time, money and problems. Drain the fuel, clean the carbs and change the water pump. Check the fuel lines for internal damage. New Champion plugs and a new water seperator filter too. We go thru this everyday and there are no shortcuts. Especially if the fuel has ethanol in it. You'll be doing yourself a great favor.

pafisher1234

Seaman Apprentice

Look up Pri G it's a fuel additive they claim they brought 10 year old fuel to running standards. Its up to you ultimately I don't think a year is that long. Granted ethanol doesn't last long.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Dhadley. Dump the fuel, service the motor and start afresh !!!

jonesg

Admiral

I took a 5 gal bucketfull from my tank, it ran well in my van.