blocking off oil pump - 1998 Yamaha Waverunner XL 1200

Cptkid570

Ensign
I've been reading about blocking off the oil pump and just using pre-mix. I'm not trying to start a debate on whether or not to do that, but I have a general question.. What happens if you just let the oil tank run out of oil and then use your own premix? Will it harm some sort of vacuum system or something? I'm trying to figure out why it is necessary to block it off.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
its important because the oil lines to the carbs will draw air if you do that. The block off kit comes with blanks caps that you put on where the oil lines used to go. Then it doesn’t draw air and basically run like crap or not at all. Dead easy to do with the kit.
If you don’t want to buy the kit then you still need to loop out the lines to just recirc oil and blank the intakes.
Ideally you want the kit. It’s not dear and dead easy to do. Also means it can be restored to original if you like.

Cptkid570

Ensign
thank you QBhoy!!! I figured that it was something line that. I have to rebuild the carbs anyway, so it should be easy to block off while everything is apart.