bilge pump wiring. My head is going to explode

matt167

Rear Admiral
I was doing some investigation on my new boat and figured out that my bilge pump is powered by the radio power ( AM/FM/ bluetooth ), and that it's actually a 7 conductor 16 AWG Monster speaker cable going back to the battery.. Obviously that isn't going to fly on an important circuit, especially with the 800 GPH Rule pump that I bought to replace the bottom of the barrel 450 GPH that was in it.

Now I bought 14/3 marine tinned wire for use with bilge pumps, a Ruleomatic float switch and a bilge pump switch panel that will help cover up the mess on the dash.

With the 3 conductors going up to the switch panel, how do I wire this?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... 1 wire is ground,.....
1 wire is switched power, to over-ride the float switch,......
The 3rd wire is constant power for the float switch,.....

matt167

Rear Admiral
thanks guys.. I think in my head I was making it more difficult than it is

matt167

Rear Admiral
Digging up my old thread for more bilge pump wiring..

Big boat has 2 bilge pump outlets so I bought 2 new Rule 800s and an Atwood float switch. The switch is rated to 12a. The pumps are 4.5 each. Is it safe if I wire them as one controlled by the same switch? The switch has the rating but is it okay to go that close to rating? The dash switch is a new Seachoice push pull switch I think is good to like 20a

Or I could wire one automatic and one manual

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Many bigger boats (30' class +) will run multiple bilge pumps.

Some do a standard bilge pump in the engine room with auto/float/manual control along with a high water (failsafe) bilge pump that is auto/float controlled only with a warning horn/light at the helm

Others do the above with a third bilge pump midship/sump/fwd designation and in most cases will be auto/float/manual controlled

The choice is yours as to how you set up your system. Just ensure the pumps are rated for volume/flow based on hull displacement/mass and the float switch(es) are oriented proper

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the rule pump curves are accurate. you will be fine

matt167

Rear Admiral
My boats an 18’ StarCraft and I’m not sure how original it actually is, but it has a bilge outlet in the same spot port and starboard. When I bought it it had a Rule 500 tossed in the bilge

I never thought about adding a warning horn but it’s not a bad idea.. the float side of the circuit will be powered off the engine block connections

warmhamsandwich

Recruit
Can anyone tell me where these wires go!?!? Stupid me never took a photo before taking the wires off my bilge switch!
My boat is a 2007 G3 185F, it sank last year because my bilges died! I replaced both bilges with Rule 1100's. I'm ready to sink it again!!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can anyone tell me where these wires go!?!? Stupid me never took a photo before taking the wires off my bilge switch!
My boat is a 2007 G3 185F, it sank last year because my bilges died! I replaced both bilges with Rule 1100's. I'm ready to sink it again!!!!
Suggest you start your own thread regarding your own boat.