biaxle fiberglass issue

godspede619

Seaman
Working on a repair today and ran into a little issue. The damage area is a crack on one of the speed strakes that was about 2in long. Prepped everything good..12:1 bevel, glass is cut to size. I am using both a 1.5 oz mat and biaxle cloth with a poly resin. Mat went on perfect for the first couple layers but ran into a problem with the biaxle.. Because the repair is on the strake and not on a flat surface, i had trouble getting the biaxle to conform to the hull. Was getting air bubbles that i could not get out.

My question is.. can i cut the biaxle patch in half and appy the two pieces separate so i can avoid making the turn over the speed stake? Then apply mat over the peak of the stake to make up for the 1/4 in loss? I will gelcoat everything when finished. Should I be using a different product...? Thanks guys..

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: biaxle fiberglass issue

Working on a repair today and ran into a little issue. The damage area is a crack on one of the speed strakes that was about 2in long. Prepped everything good..12:1 bevel, glass is cut to size. I am using both a 1.5 oz mat and biaxle cloth with a poly resin. Mat went on perfect for the first couple layers but ran into a problem with the biaxle.. Because the repair is on the strake and not on a flat surface, i had trouble getting the biaxle to conform to the hull. Was getting air bubbles that i could not get out.

My question is.. can i cut the biaxle patch in half and appy the two pieces separate so i can avoid making the turn over the speed stake? Then apply mat over the peak of the stake to make up for the 1/4 in loss? I will gelcoat everything when finished. Should I be using a different product...? Thanks guys..

biax hates corners.

that is really an inner/outer repair that you are doing.
but biax is really thick for a repair in that place...actually....i dont suggest you use that cloth for that exact reason....(air)....

a simple finishing veil is ok and a lot less air will be in the strake.
csm...(ripped) will be good on that area.....if you really want the bi-ax stregnth.....i would use it on the inside.

the hull ext thread...(last 3 pages has info obout glassing on sharp corners.

cheers
oops

godspede619

Seaman

Thanks oops. I cant repair from the inside. So 1.5 oz mat will be stong enough?. I heard you shouldn't use it for structural repair. Finishing veil huh? Is that just a cloth finish? thanks again

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello 619..

unless there is delam in your trakes you will be fine with building with proper 1.5 oz mat.

strakes are not structural..

Do not use finish cloth at all ! there is little value of that glass useful on boats. ( none at all below the water line )

Proper mat resinated is much stronger and has better bonding then cloth.

pics would be nice :)

YD.