Best way to check for...

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A rotted transom?

I have a leak that I believe to be a rotted transom. Just bought the boat (didn't even think about it) and owned made no mention of it when I asked him if anything was wrong with the boat.

Tap it with a hammer?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best way to check for...

tap with hammer, thud is rot, thump is solid, use a 1/4 drill and drill some test hole, wet, damp, rot. new wood, good. the patch with marine tex.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why do you think a rotted transom is your problem? If I recall, you have a stringer drive which relies on the rubber boot around your drive. Mercs, Volvos and OMC Cobras have leaks when the transom is rotted but your mounting situation is entirely different.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just checking it out to make sure.

The shape of the rest of the wood on the boat would now indicate the wood is going to be in rough shape. Just want to make sure.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Because you have a stringer drive, the condition of the stringers is even more critical. Not only do they have to resist the torque and weight of the engine like a typical drive would, it also has all the force on it due to the thrust of the drive.

What is the condition/age of the boot around your drive?

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It needs to be replaced, that's for sure.

Don't want to throw parts at a boat with a rotten transom though.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Agreed.

Thing is, you said in another thread that you had a leak and all the "You have a rotten transom" folks came out of the woodwork without knowing anything about what drive you have.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gotcha. Yeah, it had my stomach in a knot. I'll be checking it. It rained today, so it was a no-go. If it isn't rotten, I'll be doing by best 'happy dance' and start wiring up my bilge system.

If it's rotten, well, then we'll sink that ship when we get there. Thanks for your patience.

Sam