Best prop size/pitch for my application

mikenbecw

Cadet
I have read through a bunch of posts and seen some of you can do wonders in regards to best prop size/pitch with a little bit of info.
I was wondering if you could tell me which prop would be the best for my boat with the main usage will be kneeboarding/wakeboarding/tubing and possibly barefooting.

Current set-up Info:
The boat is new to me and the local lakes are a little stiff right now so I do not know WOT RPM and speed. If you require this let me know and I will get back to you in the spring! :)
Prop mfr is unknown to me, 3 blade aluminum.
14.5 X 19 pitch
Average load approx. 600lbs plus 25 gallons fuel
2007, Volvo Penta 5.0GL-H, 220 HP, SX-A Drive with 1.79 Ratio
2007 Blue Water Cascade 20'3" & 2650lbs

Thanks!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Best prop size/pitch for my application

i had a 19 pitch on my 70 hp 16 ft boat. So my guess is that a 19 pitch on an engine that big will not be enough pitch. But that will help you get on plane easier than a higher pitch prop.
Do you have a spare prop? I would test the boat, then buy a used prop off ebay. And either get a higher pitch, or lower pitch, depending on what you need.

Then you will have a spare prop.
I originally had a 19 pitch, then i bought a 17 pitch. then sold my 19 pitch, then bought a 15 pitch. I did this all on ebay. All props came with hubs in them too.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

21 pitch would probably be the right combo for hole shot and top end. I have a 21 on my boat with a 270HP Volvo. My previous boat had a 4.3GXI and a 23 pitch prop on a 19 ft boat and it pulled good with a a great top end.

mikenbecw

Cadet

Thanks for the input.
I just got the boat a few weeks ago and have not used it yet, it was a repo but looks to have been extremely well taken care of. There was no spare prop. I am just looking for some advice so I can be all set to go as soon as the ice clears off the lakes! I don't want to spend half the summer tweeking if I can avoid it.
Anybody have any thoughts on the four blade props?

NHGuy

Captain

Don't buy a prop til you run what you have. If you do a test run and come back here with as much info as possible the guru's on here will save you wasting money and time experimenting.

hwsiii

Commander

Mike, in my opinion NHGuy has the right answer, just get back with me after you have some numbers and I will be more than happy to help as much as I can.

H

mikenbecw

Cadet

Finally got the boat in the water yesterday! It ran great and everything seems to be working as it should!
It did seem a little slow out of the hole for me, I would like a quicker start and do not need to go 50mph. A 40 mph top end would be more than enough.

INFO:
WOT 5000 RPM & 50 mph gauge (forgot gps)
Prop mfr is unknown to me, 3 blade aluminum.
14.5 X 19 pitch
Average load approx. 600lbs plus 25 gallons fuel
2007, Volvo Penta 5.0GL-H, 220 HP, SX-A Drive with 1.79 Ratio
2007 Blue Water Cascade 20'3" & 2650lbs

Is there any other info you require?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

a 17 inch pitch will put you at 5400 rpm, give or take.
i would not go lower than 17

hwsiii

Commander

Mike, I show your manufacturers recommended maximum RPM to be between 4,200 and 4,800 RPM and please check the lower gear ratio as well as it is important, please verify this.

If this is right then you need a Solas Amita 4 blade aluminum prop in a 19" pitch for the water sports you intend on doing. Your hole shot will improve, you will be able to plane at lower speeds and your RPM should drop to right at 4,800.

H