Bathroom remodeling... And Sheetrock gurus in the house?

Homerr

Commander
I've been remodeling my first bathroom the past few weeks.<br /><br />I'm at the point of hanging rock above the tub.<br />Should I put green-board around the tub and on the ceiling above it?<br /><br />I plan on installing your typical plastic tub surround/insert so I don't think I'll need to put green-board behind that, however what about the ceiling?<br /><br />When I built my second bathroom, I put green-board on the entire room. An expensive "overkill" I eventually learned. <br />I don't want to repeat that mistake! :eek: <br /><br />Green-board in my area is approx. twice the cost of normal rock ('bout $11 board) :( <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bathroom remodeling... And Sheetrock gurus in the house?

Green board around the areas where water gets splashed is a good idea,also there is the steam vapors and any condensation to contend with.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Homerr, by using greenboard you'll never have to worry about it again. If you don't, every time you or anybody else uses that tub, you'll be thinking, "I should've used greenboard."

aspeck

Staff member

I vote yes to the green board around tub and ceiling. You can get away with regular drywall in rest of bathroom, but greenboard is a must in the tub/shower area. Moisture from slashes and steam will eventually rot regular drywall. If you have regular drywall there, a good coat paint will work wonders at keeping out the moisture, but any crack or hole in the paint can be a place where moisture gets behind and ruins regular gypsum.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I use cement board in and around the tub wall area regardless if we are tiling or using a fiber glass tub surround!!!! ;) :cool:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely green board around the tub/shower stall at least. I even gave the stuff a coat of paint before I but the tub/shower unit in. Hey, I like overkill. :) :)

Homerr

Commander

Thanks guys... I agree.<br /><br />I'm going to put it around the tub and above.<br /><br /><br />H.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) I use cement board in and around the tub wall area regardless if we are tiling or using a fiber glass tub surround!!!! ;) :cool:
The guys I work with do the same Fly Rod<br /><br />On very small bathrooms (5X7 - 8X10)they use all cement/backer board since there really is no part of the room that isn't effected by moisture.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

non-Boating Tech.