Bass boat resurrection

Bigcountry78

Cadet
Hey all, hopefully this is in the right section. This is my first boat project, and the first one I’ve personally owned, although I grew up on a pontoon since my dad has always had one. Anyway, it’s a bumble bee, got the whole package for $400, with title. The sticker on says 2010, I’m assuming it’s been sitting since then. It has a 75HP Suzuki, and a really nice trailer. I had to drive 200 miles round trip to get it and ended up blowing out a trailer tire 10 miles from home. They’re dry rotted anyway. I’m currently researching what I need to do to make the motor up. As far as the hull, I’ve gotten most of the old rotten carpet off, and it looks like all I need is some seats. I have access to some off of a salvage boat, as well as a trolling motor and a newer fish finder. I hope the paint can be saved, as it looks like the original was a deep red metal flake. D7B8731E-ED2C-4FAD-A534-BB92E15E5FE5.jpegC0786D36-60B7-494A-BB4D-ACA30FBDF6AB.jpegDC137E09-089B-4137-947A-AF8D9F070F92.jpegD12A6D63-FB13-4DAF-8F70-A4CDAAEC09CB.jpeg235C6BF6-E6DE-4822-B783-E8ADF624EEE3.jpeg

cpo1

Seaman Apprentice
I remember seeing a few of those on lakes. Nice find. Isn't that metalflake fiberglass gel coat, rather than paint? Just curious. Anyway, looks like you'll have a nice boat down the road a bit. Is the trailer galvanized?

Bigcountry78

Cadet
I remember seeing a few of those on lakes. Nice find. Isn't that metalflake fiberglass gel coat, rather than paint? Just curious. Anyway, looks like you'll have a nice boat down the road a bit. Is the trailer galvanized?
That trailer isn’t galvanized that I can tell. It could be fiberglass gel coat, and it probably is. I’m new to all this. I hope it’ll be something I can be proud of, I don’t feel like it’ll take much to make it nice.

todhunter

Canoeist
The gelcoat may be hard to save. It looks super oxidized. If you end up wet sanding/buffing through the outer layer of clear gelcoat and get into the metal flake layer, it supposedly turns a cloudy color.

Bigcountry78

Cadet
The gelcoat may be hard to save. It looks super oxidized. If you end up wet sanding/buffing through the outer layer of clear gelcoat and get into the metal flake layer, it supposedly turns a cloudy color.
What would you recommend for polishing it? Or attempting to at least.

Bigcountry78

Cadet
88B8541F-53AA-4F10-B885-D6FC69BC0496.jpeg1ADF0326-1ACF-4DED-A510-11AA258A6F92.jpegWell I finally got a battery in and got to take a look at the motor. It looks like it was run last week, so that’s a good sign. All the linkages are present, attached, and move freely. Bilge pump and aerator work, Nav lights don’t so far. I also have a switch that says fuel, not sure what it does just yet. Rank out of time for the day.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy old guy who plays with boats
Well, in every nook and cranny, all I can lay eyes on is fiberglass. Where should I look to try any get an eye on the wood? Is it possible it’s built entirely of fiberglass?
Its build of wood covered with fiberglass. The stringers and transom have a wood core

Test drill. If the shavings are dark and wet, your transom and stringers are rotten